Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

How does the reputation system work?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree
Rep voting is anonymous. If you have a positive rep then keep doing what you are doing and you should get more. If your rep is negative then it's a sign that you're annoying to others and, like posting drunken party pics on facebook, may come back to bite you someday, like when you need help or want to buy or sell something. There is no way to fix a bad reputation. You are going to reap what you sow on the forums. Act like an asshat and you'll get punished for it. We will not intervene in the rep system. It is entirely in the hands of the members.
It isn't always that you have upset people.... could be one person who doesn't like what you post!

You don't have to be annoying to get a negative rep....

Would be nice tho, to see why you have it... what posts, etc..
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i think its a good idea. Good way to keep people in check.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by cthree' timestamp='1302457346' post='20450088
Rep voting is anonymous. If you have a positive rep then keep doing what you are doing and you should get more. If your rep is negative then it's a sign that you're annoying to others and, like posting drunken party pics on facebook, may come back to bite you someday, like when you need help or want to buy or sell something. There is no way to fix a bad reputation. You are going to reap what you sow on the forums. Act like an asshat and you'll get punished for it. We will not intervene in the rep system. It is entirely in the hands of the members.
It isn't always that you have upset people.... could be one person who doesn't like what you post!

You don't have to be annoying to get a negative rep....

Would be nice tho, to see why you have it... what posts, etc..
Trust me, I've been doing this a long time and the first thing people would do if they knew what those votes were for is to contest them to either me or the other admins. They would file grievances, bitch and moan all over the forums and eventually blame me for their bad reputation. Not everyone, not you I'm sure, but enough to make me regret having enabled it at all.

No thanks. It is what it is. If the members use it in a way that creates value it will have some. If they dump all over it and make it useless, then useless it will be. I'm not taking any responsibility for the reputation system whatsoever.

If it's one person you piss off then you'll get a -1 score. If it's more, then your score will reflect that. The only way to counter negative scores is with an equal number of positive ones. If having a negative score bothers you then don't do what is earning you bad scores; maybe you aren't as funny or witty as you think. Over time -1 may turn out to by a high score (especially for some).

Your rep is entirely organic and a direct result of how you behave. I know I will be looking at people's rep score when I need to take a measure of someone I've not dealt with much. I expect everyone will do the same.

My advice is, as a community, make sure it isn't abused and remains relevant and useful. That means giving good rep to people who contribute well and bad rep to those who don't. We shall see where it goes. After 100, 500 or 1000 rep votes the fact that one douche gave you a bad score unjustly wont matter. The more people use it the more accurate it will be on aggregate and the more robust it will become.

It is precisely because you don't know what the scores are for that they carry any weight. If you could 'game' the rep system then it would taint it.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the rep system only for paying members? I still don't have the ability to make a post up or down.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, only members (plus moderators, COs, not Guests) can use the system at this time mainly to prevent some from jacking it by registering 100000000 new accounts to rep up all their posts. As it is they still can but I'll be so rich I won't care
Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Haha ok. I think thats a good idea though to make it members only. Yet another incentive to pay and also prevents hooligans from messing with people like you said.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

So hypothetical, if a guy or even a CO got a neg 25 within a few hours in one community by 3 goons, that would be considered abuse. Using it like a hate system is not what it is used for. Luckily this is pretty obvious, because the admins are able to see the pattern.

Also, as a question, just because you visit a profile does not mean you give a reputation score does it? Maybe only the guilty and paranoid think this
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HondaGal
So hypothetical, if a guy or even a CO got a neg 25 within a few hours in one community by 3 goons, that would be considered abuse. Using it like a hate system is not what it is used for. Luckily this is pretty obvious, because the admins are able to see the pattern.
Like this guy?
Opening post, -17 last time I checked. Profile view, -31.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/858...in-your-s2000/

Why its 5 pages long and not yet closed is beyond me.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

not to mention if you could see who gave you a negative score you could simply go to their profile and give them a negative rep just because your bitter and want to be a dick
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan
not to mention if you could see who gave you a negative score you could simply go to their profile and give them a negative rep just because your bitter and want to be a dick

Definitely. If you allow neg rep (whether, thumbsdown, rep w/ comment, etc.), and ID the rep'er, it just opens the floodgates for that kind of behavior.

What s2kadrenalin was talking about is simply seeing a list of reps and information like so:

Date&Time, Type (Pos/Neg), Thread (Link)

Still anonymous, but then you can at least know what thread resulted in what rep. I don't care either way, but I get what he's asking.

Quick Reply: How does the reputation system work?