Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Important Privacy Information, please READ

Old 12-23-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... This is interesting.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tox
[B]

Does this mean that even YOU don't know which VIN goes with each member?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred
Mary
Jane
Paul
Phil

Ok, you match them up. Which numbers go with which name. Hint, each name is associated with a number. That's how they are stored so that's what you have to work with. Good luck

'vins' table schema for those with a thirst for knowledge:

CREATE TABLE vins (
vin varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
KEY vin (vin)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

I can't publish the user table schema for copyright reasons but the bits I added are as follows:

CREATE TABLE user (
vin char(1) NOT NULL default '',
) TYPE=MyISAM;

vin is either '' (empty, blank, nil) or 'Y'.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why anyone would really be concerned over the information this board has is beyond me; your state's motor vehicle devision and the internal revenue service both have way more information about you. And, both organizations sell this information to anyone.

PS: I'm not just guessing here, I use slightly different names on both (and both are slightly different from my general use name), so when I get marketing info, credit inquiries, etc. I can tell which agency gave out my information. For instance, did you know that your credit rating is adversily effected by the information the IRS sells? The largest IRS client base is creditors which each runsa credit check on you and each credit check is a small deduction on your rating. Not much, but could make the difference between qualifying for a home loan or not.

All just a long winded way of saying that if you want to protect your privacy, focusing on this board is way down on the priority list, as compared to your trash for instance (a leading method of obtaining the information required for identity theft.)
Old 01-01-2002, 10:28 PM

How do license plate numbers fall into this privacy discussion? They are even more public than VIN numbers.
I'm just curious as this whole VIN/privacy issue has gotten me a little worried about my very public license plate # (it's personalized and very easy to remember) & I was curious why the plates were often 'blanked-out' in the photos.
Anything beyond that already discussed in this thread that I need to worry about?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:29 AM

Received 5,097 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Originally posted by Cheetah
How do license plate numbers fall into this privacy discussion? They are even more public than VIN numbers.
I'm just curious as this whole VIN/privacy issue has gotten me a little worried about my very public license plate # (it's personalized and very easy to remember) & I was curious why the plates were often 'blanked-out' in the photos.
Anything beyond that already discussed in this thread that I need to worry about?
I suspect one of the reasons people blank out their plates is in case they 'flame' a nutcase who wants to track them down. A road rage state of mind thing. Knowing the state and plate no., it's easy to do. So just be nice and there's nothing to worry about. Don't sweat the plate thing... misuse of the info is about as likely as getting hit twice by lightening on a sunny day.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:07 AM

I would like to register my Vin to become a registered owner but am still awaiting a reply as to why my VIN does not get accepted.

Has anyone any advice on this matter???
Old 04-24-2002, 12:44 PM

Bert, you may want to PM HondaGal about this. IIRC Kobe had a similar problem with his JDM Midnight Blue S2000