Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery?

Old 01-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone here had laser eye surgery?

I think I'm going to get it done in the next couple weeks.. I've put it off far to long now.

I'm thinking of going to LasikMD.. tull January 31 its 980 bucks for both eyes. Seems that they have a decent rep, though Hertzig and TLC are much more prominent.

what do you guys think? any advice would be appreciated.

My biggest fear is that I can't even touch my own eye, last year I had something in my eye, so I went to the Dr. he started poking at it, and I started to freak out. I asked him to stop for a second and he didn't..I actually shoved him in the throat against the wall.
I'm afraid that I might freak out when the laser is on, and wind up blind. They can't put you under for the procedure.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:47 AM

The only thing that's a big issue is that your vision needs to have been relatively stable for the past two years (i.e., not getting progressively worse..) In terms of the procedure, its really quick... couple of quick zaps by the laser. The after effects are described as wearing gritty contacts for a day. I think they secure your head for the procedure too...so you can't squirm around.

Anybody who has done it loves it...says its the best thing since sliced bread =) no more fussing with contacts, glasses, etc.

You can go in for a free consultation...see if its for you.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:51 AM

X-Coworker had it done, she no longer needs to wear glasses and she swears by the surgery... greatest $ spent, she says. Quick, painless and simple... just blurry vision for the first 2 days... after that everything was just peachy.

Don't worry about not being able to touch your eye, because they'll tape it up for the day and put a patch over it to avoid anything getting in...

The place that she went to also guarantees "free touch ups" i.e. if your vision goes bad again, they'd zap you again free of charge.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 PM

I went to TLC in Waterloo and got quoted at $4200.00. That's a hell of alot more than your quote mindcore. I know I need custom lasik to correct an astigmatism I have but custom lasik is only an extra $500 an eye. Custom lasik gives you a better chance of not getting night glare after the procedure. How bad are your eyes? I don't think mine are that bad. I don't understand why I got quoted so much. Oh yeah, TLC guarantees for life.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Let me ask you this, Can you put a price on YOUR eyes ?

I certainly would not want to CHEAP out on my eyes, I have only one pair ..

I have a very close friend of my family who is a reknown Ophthamologist who will give you TRUTH..

PM me if you'd like..
Old 01-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Fob

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ksimon
Mike,
Old 01-04-2004, 09:01 PM

My wife is looking into this (luckily I was blessed with perfect vision )

She's been quoted a couple K for the procedure - we talked to one friend who had it done - he said the worst part was the smell of burnt flesh - I'm not sure if I believe him.

We also say a program on TLC or something along those lines about it. It seems that they actually have to slice a piece of your eye open to be able to do the procedure.

I know I couldn't handle it, but maybe 10 minutes of agony is better than contacts and glasses for the rest of your life.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:08 PM

i left the tlc talk after i found out they have to slice open my eye with a very sharp knife (the credit card thingy).
Old 01-05-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

creating the "flap" is what lasik surgery is.. PRK is without flap but archaic surgery in today's standards and will require many re-treats..
Old 01-05-2004, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had mine done at LasikMD 3 years ago....i highly recommend them.

and yes, your vision need to have stabilized over the past 3 years.

no complaints......would do it again in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had laser eye surgery?