Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Need to replace Head Gasket :(

Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pics of the leaks. I have since then cleaned the surface to see exactly where the leaks come from. I have also hand tightened all 4 allen key bolts in that area. The two 8mm bolts were very tight, the 6mm bolts were tight but did budge.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by CR EH
Here are a few pics of the leaks. I have since then cleaned the surface to see exactly where the leaks come from. I have also hand tightened all 4 allen key bolts in that area. The two 8mm bolts were very tight, the 6mm bolts were tight but did budge.
I no see any pics...
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dc24me
My 08 with 75k kms on it I just picked up also has oil sweating at the head gasket. I am having Speedstar pull the head and change it as well as inspect the head along with a valvejob since the valves have never been adjusted before. In the threads about 06+ there is mention of some cases of burnt exhaust valves, so I definitely want to get this done.
That's a waste. Do leak down test to determine if the valves are burnt. Only pull the head if there is someting wrong. Head bolts can only be reused so many times and there is a greater chance of messing things up.

Honda from the factory puts sealant around the timing chain area between the head and block btw.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Get a new valve cover gasket and torque to spec. The rest looks normal IMO.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Your oil is overfull. I agree I wouldn't crack open a motor just cause speedstar said so :s did they do a VA?

Hard to see,Doesn't look to be head gasket leak. Snug up your VC bolts.

IMO, if you can avoid opening a Honda motor do so. It will save you headaches in the future
Old 04-24-2014, 02:54 PM

WOW a shop said to replace the head gasket for that? I was thinking it was way worse

Was it speedstar?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Your oil is also overfilled if that's the level it's at in the picture. It should be in the hash marks between H and L.

I personally wouldn't worry about the amount of seepage you have, if anything that front cover needs to be resealed as it's only sealed with Hondabond. I do many side cover reseals on Accords/Civics for the same issue.

Also, puff of blue smoke on start-up is valve seals. If it smokes when you're on it hard, it's your oil control rings.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Get a new valve cover gasket and torque to spec. The rest looks normal IMO.
And be very careful not to snap the bolts . Also, pay attention to plug seal gasket orientation
Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Ya I know my oil is a little high but since I'm leaking right now I'm not concerned. I really appreciate all the feedback, hopefully tightening the bolts a little will be enough to reduce the seepage.

If you guys feel its okay then I'll leave it, I'm just going to be monitoring my levels more closely now.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by fernando.
Your oil is also overfilled if that's the level it's at in the picture. It should be in the hash marks between H and L. I personally wouldn't worry about the amount of seepage you have, if anything that front cover needs to be resealed as it's only sealed with Hondabond. I do many side cover reseals on Accords/Civics for the same issue. Also, puff of blue smoke on start-up is valve seals. If it smokes when you're on it hard, it's your oil control rings.
What honda dealership do you work at?

Quick Reply: Need to replace Head Gasket :(