Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Need to replace Head Gasket :(

Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
Ya I know my oil is a little high but since I'm leaking right now I'm not concerned. I really appreciate all the feedback, hopefully tightening the bolts a little will be enough to reduce the seepage.

If you guys feel its okay then I'll leave it, I'm just going to be monitoring my levels more closely now.
Yes, but having more oil than needed increases oil pressure which leads to oil leaking out of seals/gaskets, going over the limit is never a good idea so it could be an underlying reason for the leak. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to find the cause!

Originally Posted by s2kajax
What honda dealership do you work at?
Clarington Honda.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My motor looks exactly like that, there is oil on the lower housing cover as well as some near the exhaust manifold.

So this is caused by overfilling the oil? I was going to get a valve adjustment done as well as the compression checked when I came back get some other things done to the car. I was originally going to just clean off the oil off and observe, but then got the idea of just getting the head pulled as the car has 75k on it. What you guys are saying about not pulling the head off unless it is totally necessary makes sense.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dc24me
My motor looks exactly like that, there is oil on the lower housing cover as well as some near the exhaust manifold.

So this is caused by overfilling the oil? I was going to get a valve adjustment done as well as the compression checked when I came back get some other things done to the car. I was originally going to just clean off the oil off and observe, but then got the idea of just getting the head pulled as the car has 75k on it. What you guys are saying about not pulling the head off unless it is totally necessary makes sense.
Must be your first honda. If you said it had 375K, I would say it's just broken in.

Clean off the oil with brake clean and watch from where it's coming from and how much comes out given X amount of km.

Get the valves adjusted and enjoy the car
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,508 Posts

Those oil stains are too high to be the head gasket, valvecover, idler gear bolt, and vtec solenoid could be more likely candidates.

Send your oil off for used oil analysis - $20, if you don't have coolant in the oil you are safe. If your coolant overflow tank is clean you don't have oil in the coolant.

Blue smoke out the exhaust can be a few different things, the head gasket being the least common part.

Don't sweat it, and don't do anything drastic quite yet.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM

so which shop recommend you unnecessarily to do the head gasket?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you pictured is normal sweating from the front cover, HG, and valve cover. Like mentioned above, snug up the two Allen's, change the valve cover gasket and wash and monitor that area. You have nothing to worry about
Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dc24me
My 08 with 75k kms on it I just picked up also has oil sweating at the head gasket. I am having Speedstar pull the head and change it as well as inspect the head along with a valvejob since the valves have never been adjusted before.
Originally Posted by sanjay
so which shop recommend you unnecessarily to do the head gasket?
I'm also interested to see if they're recommending a head gasket change and why. I'm asking only bc when I asked them about adjusting my valves, they recommended changing the valve cover gasket as precautionary measure, NOT the head gasket.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was them. They once told a member here with misfires that he needed a new motor without even checking valve clearances. Ended up just being tight exhaust valves.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks again for all the comments, really helped to relieve my concerns.

Thanks Fernando, any suggestions on how to drain some of the oil without using the drain plug?

And who would you guys suggest to get this valve adjustment done? What's the approximate cost?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM

There is nothing wrong with your head gasket based on those photos. Valve cover gasket, and yes empty out some of that oil - you will cause damage this way.

However, consider this post:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/898...t__p__20998651

Quick Reply: Need to replace Head Gasket :(