UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Last Drive meet of the year! 30th Dec 08!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Last Drive meet of the year! 30th Dec 08!

Well, in the spirit of Burnie's first drive, I thought I'd organise a "between Xmas and New Year" drive. It'll be Tues 30th December, 7am as below.

The route is a lovely drive with fast A-roads, although I try to make sure that the pace is dependant on the slowest driver, and we do wait to let folk catch up if necessary. We also stick to the 30 and 40 limits through the villages.

To have some clear roads, we meet early in the morning (7am) at Christ Church Chorleywood Car Park Christ Church

It's on the A404 about 1/2 mile from J18 of the M25. The postcode is WD3 5SG but it looks like that's not quite right.

and drive to Jack's Hill Transport Cafe in Towcester (NN12 8ET) Jacks Hill

via the A404, A413 with a detour past Chequers to wake Gordon with the glorious sound of vtec in the morning, A43 and A5.

We then eat a hearty breakfast and drive back again.

Some notes on convoying:
1) I try to keep the pace reasonable, if you feel that it's too fast, please feel under no pressure to keep up. Drive to your limits, not mine, or anyone else's. We will wait at the next turning.

2) Overtaking - getting 5 or more cars (and we've had 10 or so for the last few runs) to overtake can be a tricky business.
Standard convoy etiquette is to remain out once you have overtaken to indicate that the road is clear for the next car to overtake.
2a) If you are the lead car, look well ahead and observe properly. If you can't see where the road goes, or if there is something coming, then get back over immediately.Once you see the following car is well into the manouevre, move back over to afford the follower a clear view of the road ahead. Err on the side of caution at all times.
2b) If you are the following car, it's your responsibility to make sure you can overtake safely. If you're unsure, then don't overtake, even if the lead car is out. Do not feel pressured into overtaking to keep up. Chances are that I am stuck behind another vehicle half a mile up the road, so you'll catch up anyway. Err on the side of caution at all times. Remember, We will wait at the next turning.

3) If you are "stuck" behind someone who is going a bit slowly, please keep a safe distance and do not try to push them along. Backing off a bit on the straights and then enjoying the corners is a good way to approach things.

4) Remember to have fun

List of attendees here:

Definites
lovegroova
Suzybee
MQ + GrittyShaker
TINTOP
FX07
PaulF
eho
MikeC'S2k
Adam K
Dembo
Gaspode
hudsonbay
m1bjr
Sti Vi
tomkbucks
wineboar

Maybes
Squeak
Ninebolts
SideWaysOnFire
FunBox

Breakfast Only (8.20 or so)
HORESPOWER
Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Definites
lovegroova
Suzybee
MQ
AE

Maybes
wineboar
eho
Sti Vi
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definites
lovegroova
Suzybee
MQ

Maybes
wineboar
eho
Sti Vi
GrittyShaker
Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definites
lovegroova
Suzybee
MQ

Maybes
wineboar
eho
Sti Vi
GrittyShaker
Squeak
Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 PM

this might be a little forward of me, but i have just joined this forum and posted up a question about buying an s2k in the coming weeks. anyway, i thought i'd pop my head into the meets section to find out if there were any meets around my area and this thread happened to be top of the forum.

i live at the edge of croxley (the watford side) and was wondering if anyone round here would let me have a nosey round their car and if they take me for a spin and show me what these cars are all about?

i realise that going to a dealer is the easy peasy option, but every single car i've ever driven from a dealers has not really given any indication of what the car is really like to drive or live with. i've ended up having to drive like a granny, and take the sales guys preferred route which inevitably ends up with you sitting behind traffic and the sales guy look nervous while you consider a death defying overtaking manouveur just to get a bit of clear road infront of you where you can open it up.

so yeah, basically if anyone feels like taking pity on me and would take me on a passenger ride so i can convince myself i can live with a 2 seater roadster at this time of year i would really appreciate it.

beer tokens will obviously be on offer for anyone kind enough to oblige!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 PM

You will be made very welcome, I'm sure.

If I end up being a definite on this meet, then you can join me if you like, although I do have a tendency to crash and stuff.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Nov 30 2008, 04:22 PM
You will be made very welcome, I'm sure.

If I end up being a definite on this meet, then you can join me if you like, although I do have a tendency to crash and stuff.
i ride motorbikes, not much in a car can scare me!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 PM

That's a good attitude to have.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM

tbh i am hoping to actually own one before the meet, i was hoping for someone who lives very very local who could take me for a spin one evening or at a weekend.

i am also in and around chalfont area a lot too if anyone is from that direction too, as my parents house is there.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Adam, I used to live in Ricky and if I was still there I would - there are plenty local to you though If not, I am sure someone would let you passenger on this meet, hey even better if you have an S2000 by then, you can join us