UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

'02 Ultrasonics - sensitivity of

Old 08-14-2002, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Ultrasonics - sensitivity of

I posted before about the effort needed to set off the untrasonics with the rag-top down. I have a GT model, so the ultrasonics are not disabled with the top down. At the time, someone said it needs time between setting the alarm and testing it. However, today, the total lack of sensitivity was brought home to me.
I'd left the car in the drive for some four hours, top down, glove compartment locked, with alarm set. I then decided to pack for tomorrow. Went to the car reached in, dumped laptop, travel bag, on the car seat and passenger footwell, etc. Unlocked the glove compartment, put stuff in there, slammed it TWICE, locked it, then went to get into the car and discovered it was locked/alarmed.
My questions. Is the ultrasonic sensitivity on all '02 GT's so piss poor? If so, can it be adjusted? A dealer said no, but it wasn't my normal dealer. With my last car, the fart of a fly would set the alarm off, but this needs an H-bomb to activate it.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:21 PM

I'll give mine a try tomorrow...... I have to say in the month I've had it so far I haven't heard the alarm yet..... so I don't even know if it works!...... I'd better check!
Old 08-14-2002, 01:34 PM

My '02 is fairly sensitive to passing cars and when I cleaned the back window with the alarm on it went off pronto. Have you tried poking the roof when its up - maybe the lack of rebound around the cabin with the hood down is the problem...?
Old 08-14-2002, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by astage
[B]I posted before about the effort needed to set off the untrasonics with the rag-top down.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:43 AM

Mine seems to be pretty sensitive with the roof up. When I first got the car in May it was set off twice by heavy rain. And only last week my cat set it off, jumping from the roof to the boot (whilst being chased by me ) That cat is on borrowed time

Mines not a GT so I haven't tested it with the roof down.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Isabelle
Try it again, maybe you accidentally disabled the ultrasonics.
I'm sure I hadn't, since it eventually activated by my slapping both hands repeatedly (and hard) on the seat back. I tried it again this morning. Even under cover, in still air, it took a lot of noise to activate. With that amount being required, a tea-leaf could easy strip the car before the alarm went off. And now that I know the interior is not protected, will the insurers pay out in the event of a claim?
I've not tried reaching in the open windows with the roof up, but rubbing/banging the closed rag-top doesn't activate it! On my old Corrado, nuts dropping from trees onto the tin top would set it off - usually during the night - just my retribution for their damn kids.
I'm also surprised at the lack of visual indication that the alarm is set. All we have is the led indicating (automatic) passive arming of the immobilizer. It would be nice to have another led, or a different flash sequence, indicating arming of the alarm itself.
Like others, I can only get the boot opening sequence to work when I have recently armed the alarm. If I try once the car has been armed an hour or so, then the boot opening sequence never works successfully.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeilW
[B]...And only last week my cat set it off, jumping from the roof to the boot (whilst being chased by me )
Old 08-15-2002, 09:26 AM

Just tried the alarm with the roof down to see how effective it is - eeerrrr its not !

Nothing happened after leaning into the car, I put the key in the ignition, nothing, then as I turn the key, the noisy little bugger went off in full voice

Funny because the boot release seems to have stopped working too !

A Honda Garage trip is imminent.

Rich
Old 08-15-2002, 10:06 AM

Mine is crap with roof up or down....... oh well!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:47 AM

Discovered that the sensitivity is very, very variable!
Yesterday, top down, I wiped the whole screen inside and out with a wet sponge without activating the alarm - Yes, it was set! Today, I wiped a finger mark off the inside of the windscreen - that I missed yesterday. I didn't touch the detectors, or make much noise at all, but the bloody thing went off.
The only real difference was the time between alarm arming and the wipe action. Yesterday (non-activation) was 4-hours, and today (activation) was 1-hour. Does the sensitivity reduce with increasing time?