UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice - locked rear wheel not a caliper issue

Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - locked rear wheel not a caliper issue

After trying to work this problem I have resorted to asking those more experienced than I ...
2004 vehicle, 60k miles. Had the car for 2 years, about 5k miles, no major issues except usual sticky calipers. During that time the wheels have been off for cleaning etc but tyres not replaced. Its just come back from the local Honda dealer for a fluid change, engine, gearbox and diff. The only trips it had has been back from the dealers about 10 miles away. They didn't report any issues.
So as a winter job to replace all calipers, discs, brake lines etc, the car is on axle stands.
When I removed the rear offside, I noticed I how hard it was to turn the hub, even after the caliper was off. Not thought too much about it as concentrating on the new brakes. Not had a car with an LSD before so thought maybe that's normal, didn't worry.
Now everything is reconditioned and back on, there is definitely an issue with the rear right. I need to use a bar on the studs to turn the hub, which I can do either way but only about 15-20 degrees before it locks solid. I thought perhaps trying to turn it the wrong way may have "jammed" the worm gear in some way, perhaps once the engine is driving the wheels, it will free up.
The nearside is "normal", can be spun by hand with the usual friction you'd expect, and if in gear (engine off) you can feel the backlash.
So I tried running in first gear (car on 4 axle stands, no wheels on). No abnormal sound from the diff, was very quiet, nearside spins, no movement from offside. Out of gear, turn off engine. Nearside can be turned by hand, offside still "locked".
Given the wheels have probably never been individually spun since I've had the car - tyres not changed, only an MOT - is it possible the car has had this issue since I bought it and I've never noticed only drive on one side, can't believe this wouldn't be obvious.
So given I drove the car into the garage perfectly OK and have only removed the wheel I can't believe I have done anything wrong, surely its OK to spin the rear wheels both ways.
I did think that because there is no resistance as both wheels are off, its OK for one to turn easily and the other stay locked but all the research I have done suggests both should turn OK.
I guess it could be a seized/damaged CV joint but again all seemed OK when I drove it last.
But before I put the wheels on and see if it drives OK, I thought I'd check with the forum, has anyone had this before, will all be OK once both wheels are on the ground etc or should I be expecting some nasty noises and the need to remortgage the house !
Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

You could undo your driveshaft and see if that spins, if not diff, if does, hub/bearing?
The following users liked this post:
Smudge291 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with Notts. Logic suggests the wheel bearing !
However this only happened after you fitted new calliper's lines etc. Surely a wheel bearing can't just fail/seize when the car's not being used !!
Good news is changing the rear hub bearing is a piece of cake, just done both of my rears
The following users liked this post:
Smudge291 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks both I took a look at the driveshaft bolts, the top one could be an issue as I can't turn the driveshaft much, however I noticed I can turn the affected shaft a few degrees easily at the diff by hand, and not at all at the hub which would suggest its the bearing. Maybe it was being held together and taking the weight off it has caused some disintegration inside, anyways I shall remove and inspect, any advice, looks like I need a press.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

A local garage can press it out easy enough dude

I did that for suspension bushes
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it's easy with a 30 tonne press!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a 15 ton press in my garage and that pissed it, so I reckon even a 10 ton press should do it.