UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice Please - Drivers Window

Old 05-25-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice Please - Drivers Window

Hi,

I have a problem with the driver's window on my S. I noticed yesterday it is covered in deep scratches, so deep you can easily feel them with your finger nail. They run in exactly the same direction that the window goes up and down in, so something has obviously done the damage whilst the window lowers and raises. I expect I would have noticed them previously so they must have happened in the last few days.

So, please can anyone answer these questions:

1. Anyone seen this before? Is there a guide or rubbing strip that is known to wear and/or trap grit, or a metal guide that can touch the glass? I've never seen this on any other car and some of the scratches are hideous.

2. I now need to replace the window. I have a UK spec 2009 facelift car, are all the windows the same across all the years? Can I fit any S2000 driver's window from any year?

3. Anyone changed a door window? Any tricks I need to know, in particular getting the glass adjusted to keep the car water-tight? Mine is bone dry at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any insight, suggestions or tips gratefully received.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One mystery solved, on closer inspection I can see the internal weather strip has doubled over. Not the sealing strip you can see at the bottom of the window, the one inside that you see if you gently pull back the outer one and peer down inside. It sits about 20mm down, inside the door.

In doubling over it has pushed all the accumulated years of grime, dust and debris against the glass and caused the scratches. Bugger.

Any answers to the other Q's 2 + 3 would still be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:00 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Check the part numbers for various model years using the links in the FAQ https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...6/#post5798518 go down to the the bottom of that post

the service manual has instructions for aligning the window correctly - it can be found in pdf form on line. It';ll be for an older car but if the parts are the same, it'll be fine. Sections 20-8 and 20-11.
The following users liked this post:
ValveBounce (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP: Link to the service manual can be found in the following Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/S2000/comme...ervice_manual/

In terms of adjusting the window; I haven't read about the window adjustment but on most convertables there is a bracket which allows for adjustment that the window sits on. Additionally, at the roof end you can adjust the weather strips that nip up to the glass - simply remove them, undo the screws, pull the metal stripping downward and then nip them up. dont forget a thin coat of shin-etsu to the seals themselves and where the seal grips the metal adjuster.

It will make sense when you do it. Failing that if you're close i'll give you a hand.
The following users liked this post:
ValveBounce (05-25-2017)