UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alarm problems

Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alarm problems

Hi all,

So I recently bought a MY2000 S2000 and when I bought it the alarm was unplugged and when I plug it in it goes off and it wont stop until I take it back out again.

It has the 3 button keyfob, (lock, unlock and open boot) and they all work fine as does central locking, but when I open and lock the car the indicators do not flash. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Or even does anyone know of anyone who can help me out? Electric's people?

Any ideas where to start diagnosing this problem?

Thanks Guys,

Cal
Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Depending upon the make of alarm - at a guess it is a Hamilton & Palmer alarm - check out the FAQ link and get in touch with Hamilton Palmer
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly the battery is near flat... my alarm and immobiliser had been playing up recently, car was sitting for about 3/4months and battery had gone, replaced it and its all fine now
Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

If you have a 3 button remote on an MY03, then you either have a euro import which didn't have the H&P alarm, or you have a UK car where the H&P alarm has been removed.

The H&P system uses a 2 button remote like this (there is a smaller version, too) but they are similar:

The 3 button fob looks a bit like this:
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Just curious.

Is it my imagination or are the "alarm problems" threads toward the top of thread topics. Just below "what's the best engine oil?" and "what's the best exhaust?

Why do you guys put up with these non-Honda alarm systems? The North American cars come with a factory alarm that rarely gets commented on. Something different in the UK? Any reason to retain it? No one ever does anything other than complain about the noise of a car alarm anyway.

-- Chuck
Old 03-30-2017, 10:32 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just curious.

Is it my imagination or are the "alarm problems" threads toward the top of thread topics. Just below "what's the best engine oil?" and "what's the best exhaust?

Why do you guys put up with these non-Honda alarm systems? The North American cars come with a factory alarm that rarely gets commented on. Something different in the UK? Any reason to retain it? No one ever does anything other than complain about the noise of a car alarm anyway.

-- Chuck
I'm sure I've explained this to you before but...

In the UK in the 90s, there was a huge problem with car theft.

To combat this, insurers set up research centre in a place called Thatcham which specified parameters for alarm systems. There were Category 1 and Category 2 systems. Cat 2 was just an alarm, and Cat 1 included an immobiliser.

Many insurers would give a discount if a "Thatcham Cat 1" system was fitted, or, on the other hand and more likely the case, refused to provide cover if one was not. (An addition to this was that many insurers required a tracking system to be fitted).

The OEM system provided pre-2004 did not meet Thatcham requirements. Therefore Honda UK engaged a company called Hamilton and Palmer to provide a Cat 1 alarm for all UK cars.
This system has not stood the test of time well, and now, as the cars get older, more and more problems are arising (try a search for the things that go wrong). They are worsened by the fact that many people now leave their cars for the winter, and the battery goes flat, which this system really does not like.

As a side note, a good number of people imported cars from Europe (so-called grey imports) as there were significant savings to be made. These cars did not have the H&P alarm fitted. The anecdotal evidence isthat these people managed to get insurance in spite of having no Cat 1 alarm. They have not suffered from the H&P problems either.

HTH.
The following users liked this post:
brooktini86 (08-01-2017)