UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alarm siren sounds off for no reason!Inconsistent

Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm siren sounds off for no reason!Inconsistent

Happy New Year to one and all.

I have posted a similar subject to this but would appreciate some fundamental advice if available.

The Thatcham Honda alarm fitted to my 2003 S2000 will at intervals between two and four weeks decide the siren requires exercises which involves the siren sounding off (no flashing lights) and it will go on constantly.

Disarming and rearming is a game that goes on for about three hours.Each time the siren ceases: but within 30 mins sounds off again.

It seems to always happen in the early hours of the morning which doesn't help!!

Even disarming and opening and closing doors then locking with key and NOT rearming also has no immediate affect.

After about 3rd or 4th disarm and rearm things settle down?

Last year car had new battery plus new siren(Truro dealer),and when delivered back appeared fine until I discovered Siren was not working at all!!!(Panic test)
Went back to main dealers(Plymouth Rowe's) who stated the siren had been left disconnected.
I obviously vented my anger at previous work,but with siren connected everything initially seemed fine,until last three months when as stated for no reason apparent it just sounds off!
Battery is fully charged,parking is secure.

When I first had the car back with new siren etc I inspected work done :the siren appeared connected under bonnet,so is there another point in the vehicle from where the siren can be disconeected ,as at the moment I feel this is my easiest option.(Plus Rowe's stated Siren was disconnected so obviously Truro had not fixed fault! but where did Rowes find the siren disconnected???)

I shall be returning to Rowes appointment booked for 6th January

equally is it possible to wire siren connections across horn??

Can the back up battery for the siren fail?if so where is it situated?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 AM

does it happen when the car is wet? Check all of the sensors and grease them up - especially the sensor under the bonnet. When that gets wet - off goes the alarm.. It took me a while to track that one down on mine
Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 AM

Sounds like a flat battery warning maybe?

Try unplugging the bonnet sensor also as they are notoriously dodgy, or just replace it and grease it, they're a couple of ££'s.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by nickrg3,Dec 29 2009, 03:22 AM
does it happen when the car is wet? Check all of the sensors and grease them up - especially the sensor under the bonnet. When that gets wet - off goes the alarm.. It took me a while to track that one down on mine
it appears to happen under all conditions,during recent snow/rain etc no problem...but last night 4.30am,5.00am,5.30am,5.45am finally managed to settle it down....it has now been fully armed for almost 9 hours without a squeak!!
[U]
Now i show my ignorance,how do I recognise the sensors,where are they all,and do I need to use a specific grease such a silicone?????
[/U

Do you happen to know were the back up battery is situated??

Thank you for your advice
Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by simonprelude,Dec 29 2009, 03:41 AM
Sounds like a flat battery warning maybe?

Try unplugging the bonnet sensor also as they are notoriously dodgy, or just replace it and grease it, they're a couple of ££'s.
I agree siren only will activate under low voltage conditions,but car has new battery fully charged plus new siren with problem still persisiting.

As you can see in my last reply the alarm sounding is very inconsistant,but with perseverance can be settled down.....it could go another four weeks now before suddenly sounding off!!

Question is How and why??

But if i can find all sensors I will certainly give them a good going over.

Thank you for your advice
Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 AM

The bonnet sensor should be a black plastic plunge affair usually fitted just underneath the front of the bonnet.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 AM

yep. you get one on the bonnet as described, one on each door, one on the soft top hinge and perhaps one one the boot?? Just put any form of grease on them to stop the water penetrating.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 AM

You say that it’s just the horn going off not the lights so it looks like a horn fault rather than a full alarm problem.
When you set the alarm off deliberately do the lights flash?

I’m wondering if it’s actually the alarm going off, but the lights just aren’t working.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 AM

Over the past couple of months my alarm has went off twice, I've unlocked car, sat in, started then alarm goes off.

Car was serviced last week and my mechanic checked the batteries condition and it's all good, no drop in voltage and very healthy.

Not sure if its an actually problem, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Leggy
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

just seen the postings.
The cold weather in December killed my battery and on replacement the alarm sounded and would not deactivate. The dealer said drive it to recharge the battery in the alarm.
This was done (the noise was LOUD and I got some funny looks) and the alarm stopped after about 20 miles. It now sounds ater 10 seconds everytime I lock the car.
I suppose it needs more miles but there is 15 inches of snow in the drive.