UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask Tango a question about detailing

Old 03-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask Tango a question about detailing

The new improved can be found here But actually I think theres some pretty good questions tucked away in this ole dear.

Okay, been thinking about this for a while as the clean and shiny thread is getting rather overloaded and all our noobies are getting stuck squeezing the information out of it. What I am going to try and do is put together a FAQ at the start of this thread on all the cleaning questions that come up. So fire away, Ask your questions and we will try and put a list together specific to the S2k in the UK

I must stress though this is not an advertisment for my services, its an opertunity for us to put together a cleaning FAQ that has been missing from the UK forum for a while.

Let me start;

The full Monty;
Washing the car;
Washing the car is the most likely point where you will cause swirls so you need to take a few simple steps to minimize these. Hose the car down first to remove the majority of the dirt. Then, by using two buckets of water (one filled with hot water and the other with soapy water), start from the top, where it is cleanest and wipe in one straight direction from back to front. Each time you do so, rinses the mitt in the fresh water and repeat again in the soapy water. It is better to use a wash mitt rather than a sponge because it will capture any grit within its pelt, rather than wiping over the paintwork. When you get near to the bottom of the car be more vigilant about rinsing the mitt in fresh water, as this is the most likely spot any grit may remain.
Now you need to clean the wheels; start by spraying the wheels with a wheel cleaner, then using a spoke cleaner work the product in between the spokes. Rinse this off thoroughly using a wash mitt and some fresh water. This is the grubbiest part of the car so you may want to keep a wash mitt specifically for doing this.

Don
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wouldn't you rather drive your car than rub it?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 AM

Don't you think it is a bit gay to spend so much time rubbing your car?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 AM

Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 AM
pip

Old 03-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Xd

No and yes

NEXT
Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 AM

I got Diamondbrite done on my car when it was bought. It comes up nicely but to make it propershiny I wax it with Meguires nxt. Is the Diamondbrite conditioner guff that you're supposed to put on actually a sealant? It goes on kinda funny and when you rinse and dry it comes up to a nice shine, just not as good as wax.

Have I been totally fleeced?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 AM

Ive got a lot of swirls on my carbon bonnet. Is it safe to go about removing them in the normal way or will i damage the clear coat?

Thank you
Old 03-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by Boab01' date='Mar 16 2007, 12:09 PM
I got Diamondbrite done on my car when it was bought. It comes up nicely but to make it propershiny I wax it with Meguires nxt. Is the Diamondbrite conditioner guff that you're supposed to put on actually a sealant? It goes on kinda funny and when you rinse and dry it comes up to a nice shine, just not as good as wax.

Have I been totally fleeced?
Diamondbrite paint glaze sealant works by coating your cars paintwork in a hard high gloss protective skin which resists the effects of road salts, fallout, acid rain, and ultraviolet light. Diamondbrite conserver is exactly that, it helps maintain the longevity of the product by topping it up. I cannot see any reason why you cannot put a wax on top of this or drop the use of the conserver and use an alternative sealant, although I would do a test on an inconspicuous area first to make sure there are no adverse reactions.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 AM

Whats the best stuff to use if you want to atempt hiding all the tiny scratches? Or is a pait job the only option here?

Quick Reply: Ask Tango a question about detailing