UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CART versus F1

Old 09-02-2002, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CART versus F1

Ive been getting more and more into CART recently, watched Dario Franchetti win last weekend and then get taken out by that Moron Paul Tracy yesterday, who needs enemies with team mates like that guy

Anyway yesterday watched the F1 and then Cart and Ive got to say I much prefer CART, its no fault of Ferraris but F1 is so predicatble at the moment and its rather boring because of it. With Cart it seems anyone of the teams s capable of winning on the day and this leads to far more exciting viewing IMHO.

Its a shame that theyre going to screw it all up next year with most of the teams going over to IRL which will be ovals only. I really cant understand what the teams and spectators see in watching cars go round and round for 200 laps, ok theres the occasional big smash into the wall but for me street circuits are much more exiting.

I think the competitivness probably stems from budget restrictions imposed on the teams and the fact that most of them run very similar chassis along with there being only 3 engine manufacturers. For me it all adds upto a great spectator sport where driver ability plays a much greater part than in F1.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by UKjasonm
...I think the competitivness probably stems from budget restrictions imposed on the teams and the fact that most of them run very similar chassis along with there being only 3 engine manufacturers. For me it all adds upto a great spectator sport where driver ability plays a much greater part than in F1.
I have to agree, the similarity of equipment really puts the emphasis on driver ability as opposed to who has the best aerodynamic design etc. As a spectator not working in the industry, I want to see close racing i.e. who is the better racing driver, not which team has the best aerodynamic design. I want to see the "battle" happen on the track, not on the engineers CAD program.

I think having the strategy over tyre choices and when to have pit stops during a race, is enough of a team involvement, the rest should be down to driver skill. In CART the heavier cars and lack of F1 style carbon fibre brakes i.e. extended braking distances seems to promote overtaking as well.

Which was the most exciting race so far this year? - IMHO Silvertsone where it rained and all the engine / aerodynamic differences were effectively removed, it was all down to driver skill / tyre and pit stop strategy
Old 09-02-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sometimes watch, and enjoy both.

But with CART, too much is about being lucky to be in contention at the start of the last full course green - with the number of yellows normally, there's little need or point being up front early on. Not always, but very often. In general, I think in F1 you've got to do well over more of the race. But like I said, I enjoy both.

For out and out racing, it's worth watching the F3000. (Guessing if you can watch CART, you can get Eurosport and see the F3000).

Also watched a few IRL races, but to be honest I'm not a big oval fan. I enjoyed Rockingham last year though - but a big part of that was being there.

-Brian.