UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clay bars

Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't clay barred yet, car is only 6 months old, but going to when the weather improves.

Not sure if there is any difference between clay bars, but def. be doing it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does claying produce a similar effect to the HD cleanse process that Zymol do ?

I'm only asking as I've got a fair bit of HD stuff left so will probably finish that off beofre getting a clay bar.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Mar 13 2005, 05:27 PM

I'm only asking as I've got a fair bit of HD stuff left so will probably finish that off beofre getting a clay bar.
I think claying is more effective than HD Cleanse, but I use both. The clay bar is more useful for 'touching up' as opposed to doing the full job (when I use both the clay bar and the HD)
Old 03-13-2005, 10:11 AM

Caly barring is an excellent thing to do to kep the look of your car in top top top TOP condition, afterall it is the base that all the varnish / wax etc sits upon.

As for the individual products I have used the Meguiars quik clay and got excellent results from it. As for this season, I shall be using a Zaino one however I doubt there to be much difference.

The only words of advice have been mentioned, loads of lubrication & frequent needing of the clay. Just go for it dude.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Clay barring is a major thing, whereas using HD Cleanse isn't so bad - I use the Swissol cleaner fluid aka the same thing as HD Cleanse really.

Personally mine will get a full clay bar about once a year, followed by Cleaner fluid and a few layers of wax.

Clay bar is just more "full on" than HD Cleanse.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:17 PM

I use the Meguiars clay bar, it is very good. I actually clayed the front bumper earlier this week, its now very smooth bar quite a few stone chips

RE the lubrication... when you buy the Meguiar's one it comes with some Quick Detailer which is ideal for using as the 'lubricant'. Its also brilliant for removing dust from the car in between washes.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Mar 13 2005, 05:27 PM

The process must be one of the following...

Wash
Claybar
HD-Cleanse
Wax

Wash
HD-Cleanse
Wax

Wash
Wax

I wouldn't recommend putting wax straight onto a claybar treated surface,
Old 03-14-2005, 03:43 AM

Used the Meguiars Clay bar, alot of hard work, Only done it once so I expect next time I use it I will be a little better and quicker.

I wouldn't recommend any of the Meguiars products in the cold weather, the Gold Polish is so difficult to use in the cold and it doesn't seem to last to long on the car. Also I've found that if you do have any deep scratch's, and get the Meguiars polish in them you'll just end up with a big white mark in the scratch

But buy applying a few layers of Auto Glym polish then the Meguiars polish on the top.......

BLING!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 AM

that looks nice
Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2uk,Mar 12 2005, 09:42 PM
once i get the car back from being repaired, should i put some sort of wax on straight away or leave it for a while, thought of clay bar but not sure.
I don't think you are supposed to wax a new paint job, and I'd have thought claybarring it would be even more of a no-no. Chris Type R has been in your position and will be able to comment.

Quick Reply: Clay bars