UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

disabling the passenger airbag? is this possible?

Old 01-26-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabling the passenger airbag? is this possible?

I could really do with disabling the passenger airbag, will Honda do this? and if not is it case of removing the fuse

the reason I want to do this is to take my daughter out but will not under any circumstances with a live airbag

this airbag business is a pain if you have young children as it means with a 2 seater you can't take them for a ride out
Old 01-26-2003, 11:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda UK Dealers are not allowed to do this, trust me I tried.

Looking through the S2000 manual there was a car seat that Honda said can be used, but again (this was September of last year) Honda UK dealers are refusing to sell it.

In the end I pick my daughter up in mine, with a car seat which fitted the best, with the seat as far back as possible. Never get to VTEC though
Old 01-27-2003, 12:31 AM

my daughter no longer needs a 'car seat' as such but a booster cushion which uses the regular seat belt
Old 01-27-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I regularly take my 6 year old son in the car using a booster seat.

I also asked Honda about disabling the airbag
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 AM

Not being able to disable the airbag is a pain.

BUT - ask yourself this. What are you intending to do that will set off the airbag?

If you want to be safe with your offspring in the car (and I do, I have 2 myself), be hyper-alert when driving. It makes far more difference to your, and their, safety.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:42 AM

would a rear impact i.e some muppet driving up your chuff set the airbag off or do they only go off on frontal impacts, anyone know

two of my cars have been written off by being rearended
Old 01-27-2003, 01:49 AM

Zero, I pranged my S involving a rear impact - spun it as I was entering a motorway sliproad, and ended up going the wrong way up it and sliding backwards into the armco Not an experience I can recommend.

The rear offside wheel and panel took the brunt of the impact. Neither airbag went off.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the accelerometers which determine when to set off the airbags can sense direction as well as speed, hence they only go off if it's a frontal impact.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:57 AM

in the event I take my daugher out I can't see myself driving quickly in any case but you can't account for other people can you?

that's what worries me, numpties doing their makeup, on the phone, changing a CD..........anything but concentrating on actually driving
Old 01-27-2003, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My daughter is 17 months old. It is a real pain that I keep having to swap cars around to pick her up or drop her off on days my wife is working (and she gets to drive the S).

I looked at the instructions for the car seats we've got. The rear facing designs are obviously a no no for the break-your-neck reasons but the grown up seats carry the same "no airbag" warnings despite facing the right way around.

Honda pi** me off on this one as Peugeot offer passenger airbag defeat switches in their cars.

This airbag issue is the main reason I'm being pressured into changing the S2000 for something else.

I don't want to disconnect both airbags though.

I could really do with a solution soon especially as the RX8 is available shortly. This is the prime contender for the S2000 replacement but my excuse is that it isn't available yet.

Was considering a CTR (great drive) but it is too bland for me and they are even more common than S2000s in and around Bournemouth.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 PM

it can't be that difficult for Honda to disable the airbags - I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that airbags were designed to cater for those drivers in the US that don't wear a seat belt (when I lived in Memphis no one seemed to wear them) so deploy with more force than if they were assumed to be used in conjunction with a seat belt

Quick Reply: disabling the passenger airbag? is this possible?