UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The dreaded rust

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded rust

I'm getting two very small patches of rust from stone chips behind the front wheel arch at the bottom of the front wings.

What's the best way to sort this - should I take it to my local coachworks asap, or is it nothing to worry about and just on the surface?

I guess I should remove my front bumper and see what it's like behind there too?

My car was used heavily in it's first three years of life (55k in three years), so what can I do to minimise rust in the future. I intend to keep the car for a good few years yet. It's now garaged and not used when there is salt on the road.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Rust only gets worse, not better. So it's best to so something about it now as it'll cost considerably less than if you leave it to spread.

A coach works will be able to rub it down and treat the affected area and re-spray it.

When I bought my car, it had small rust bubbles at the rear of both arches and on the lip of the bonnet (I didn't even spot it, the guy at the repair place pointed it out, it was that minor)

If you look at the sill below both doors, you can see the car has a thicker orange peel style paint to protect the area from the elements. I had this stuff used on the inner lip of the wings to prevent this happening in the future and you can't see it unless you're under the car.

The whole front end respray, bonnet, wings and bumper cost me
Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When rust starts it's difficult to stop it.
If you rub it down and repaint you have to get rid of all of it with acid or it will come through again.
When it is in folds or joins it is impossible to get rid of it this way.

The other approach is starve the rust of oxygen which will stop it totally from further progress. Waxoil or oil works well, as they remain wet, sealing the rust and stopping any further oxidisation.

The oil is great for seams as it will flow by capillary action into the rust.
I used this on a Mk 1 Golf GTI which had began to show signs of rust eating through from the inside of the boot lid at the bottom seam. I injected oil in to the bottom seam and it never progressed any further.

I used to use gearbox oil but use this stuff to do the job now:
CSP fluid

Old 11-16-2008, 02:34 PM

sell it, quick! but not on here.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 AM

I keep spraying the underside of the car with water to get rid of any salt. I must remember to use some waxoil at the weekend.