UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ECU Driving Style Learning

Old 08-06-2001, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive an ITR, and I'm curious if the S2k's ECU has the same behaviour for learning driving.

After a track day on Sunday, I've stalled twice since the track day. (never stalled before.). I now need 4k revs to pull away cleanly, but the engine is coming on stronger, sooner. At 5k it's already pulling quite fiercly,1k before VTec .

Has anyone noticed any changes with the S2k?

-Brian.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno I'm too scared now

I'll try when I've let the tires scrub off a bit.
My guess would be that it wouldn't be as noticable in the S2K as the ECU is biased towards protecting the engine.....
Old 08-07-2001, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ECU compensates for unleaded/super unleaded. This takes a while to change things.
Should really run super for quite some time before peak performance is required.
As for "learning" driving style - I haven't noticed any significant changes after track days or town driving.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I stick with super, with occasional methanoil based booster. It sounds like the S2K ECU doesn't adapt as much, if at all. My throttle response is back to normal now - 3 days after the track day.

Just seems a little bit of a pity. The S2k's already making very good power, but the concensus seems to be that it runs rich. I think this might be how they adjusted the ECU to be safe for the lower octane fuels in the US/UK. If I remember right JDM S2k's run 100 octane and about 10bhp more. Not that you need it

The biggest difference I noted was in the 1000 or so rpm before the Vtec change over. The car was much stronger here. Thinking about how I normally drive on the road, for overtaking I get to just the start of Vtec before flooring it and pulling out - so maybe the ECU had learnt this. On the track it was more common to have full throttle before Vtec.

It's just one of those minor things. It's amazing to me how much more I'm noticing all the little details of how the car is going after being on the track. It's like I've been wearing sunglasses on a cloudly day, but now I've taken them off and see the details. Ranting, I know

-Brian.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
It's just one of those minor things. It's amazing to me how much more I'm noticing all the little details of how the car is going after being on the track. It's like I've been wearing sunglasses on a cloudly day, but now I've taken them off and see the details. Ranting, I know

-Brian.
I couldn't agree more. I hadn't realised how rough I'd been with the car until now. I'm finding that I'm focusing on keeping it smooth and being a bit more gentle with the right foot!

Brian - did you have "panda eyes" when you took your glasses off? I did
Old 08-08-2001, 06:07 AM

I had a similar experience after my Track Day on Saturday. My car has always been fed on SU so it can't be fuel. But on Sunday when I was stopped at some lights it stalled in neutral, when I restarted it almost stalled again. Its been fine since but I thought maybe it had something to do with the track day.