UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Enging rattle between 2000-3000rpm on 2009 model?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some motoring journo' said (and I paraphrase) 'there was nothing quite like the thrill of forking out more that you can really afford for a brand new car'.

My main reason for buying new was that I wanted to know that it had been run in properly and so it had to be new. Dubious benefit!

11K miles and you'll probably be fine. I think this thing issue shows up pretty quickly.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 AM

p800bry, that's a really kind offer. I'm in West London and may take you up on th offer, but will see how things pan out over the next week or so before putting you through the hassle.

I tested another 09 yesterday that sounded fine and am heading over to a dealer to try yet another today. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 AM

Also, my dealer is also convinced there's a problem too. The dealership has been great actually. It's HUK that are being difficult.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by s2kstar,Sep 19 2010, 02:14 AM
p800bry, that's a really kind offer. I'm in West London and may take you up on th offer, but will see how things pan out over the next week or so before putting you through the hassle.

I tested another 09 yesterday that sounded fine and am heading over to a dealer to try yet another today. Will keep you posted.
No prob. Honda are well aware of the engine problems on late model s2000's so definately don't give up until it's sorted
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by s2kstar,Sep 19 2010, 02:10 AM
Some motoring journo' said (and I paraphrase) 'there was nothing quite like the thrill of forking out more that you can really afford for a brand new car'.

My main reason for buying new was that I wanted to know that it had been run in properly and so it had to be new. Dubious benefit!

11K miles and you'll probably be fine. I think this thing issue shows up pretty quickly.
I'd like to think so, but I'm not so sure. Would be interesting to know if we have any relative high mileage 08/09's out there without any issues...
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect HUK will do all they can to 'fob off' such issues as 'normal' etc. They have little concern with retaining the likes of S2000 owners and the masses that buy civics / jazz's will not be affected.

In Honda's eyes we are a dying breed and i doubt they loose much sleep what we think about them. If a similar problem was happening in a current production car in the mass market, i suspect they would be bending over backwards to rectify...dare i even mention a recall.

I think not.

They are wishing the months away....as soon as the warranties are up....happy days.

Good luck in sorting the issue, keep us posted as if HUK do ever 'discover' what is wrong i'm sure there are lots of 08/09 owners that would be very interested....I would howver expect a tight lipped responce from Honda...
Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem is, from a company point of view they can't rectify the fault. All the vehicles are already so they can't improve the process, the process is already obsolete. All they can do is work out what's affected and try to contain the problem. To do that they need to work out the problem is and then work out a way to identify what affected parts are where in the stock.

Assuming the problem is of a low enough ratio then they'll never recall. The mean time to failure seems pretty short (less than a service interval) from what I've been able to see so far so they'll just allow them to fail in service then cover through warranty. They'll have no obligation to recall since the problem isn't safety related and assuming the cost to cover in warranty is low enough it's the prefered option. You upset fewer people and you have fewer problems to manage.

If HUK know what they're doing they'll not want to upset the S2000 owners. Simple reason; any current owner of a marques vehicle is a potential future owner of an Accord/Civic/Jazz. So to say they don't care I would say was too strong. I would however say that they are dropping the ball in this area. I would say it's more incompetence/lack of info/communication that's more the problem.

I'd guess the technical skills to correctly diagnose the problem were already working elsewhere and this problem has caught them slighly unaware. It'll take them time to get them onto the problem, diagnose it, and solve it. It then assumes they'll want to release the information to the dealer network. Dealer networks are essentially the public domain and you have to be extremely careful what information you release.

Finally I'm suspecting there's some form of secondary issue going on here (hence why I asked for people to update the engine failure thread with further information). My understanding is this issue normally occurs after 8~9K miles. If the engine fails again immediately afterwards chances are it's a secondary failure mode (or the original failure was only a symptom of something much more subtle). I know dealers don't necissarily have a good track record with rebuilds on this engine so it may well be that secondary failures are nothing to do with the original fault but poor repair by the dealer
Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by s2kstar,Sep 19 2010, 02:18 AM
Also, my dealer is also convinced there's a problem too. The dealership has been great actually. It's HUK that are being difficult.
Get your dealer to request HUK send out one of their Technicians to diagnose the problem, this is what my dealer said they were going to have to do when I had a problem with the VSA on my car which they were struggling to cure but fortunetly they solved the problem at the 11th hour.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Has anyone had this issue on a MY05 car? My S does the same raspy/rattle noise in lowish revs. It's ok when cold but starts sounding apparent when warmer.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Fluffy my bet is that Honda are going to wing it with this. I say this because it's an outgoing model, and they will just replace engines as the issue arises. If it was a current model then they may do a recall, but because they don't make the car anymore, any bad press is fairly limited as it can't affect sales.

I'd bet they are looking into it though, and assuming the engine design hasn't changed (not sure why it would on an outgoing model) then it may be down to supplier issues, such as materials or tolerances?

Quick Reply: Enging rattle between 2000-3000rpm on 2009 model?