UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Finally finished tuning my car etc

Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally finished tuning my car etc

I had finished my setup last year upon fitting the smallest pulley available, however a run through 2nd, then 3rd gear produced bad heatsoak and it would then drop alot of power i estimated near 100BHP! it would take an age for intake temps to drop back down as it stood it rendered the power of the car useless really.

The car was from day one meant to look near OEM looking but not near OEM performance , so a big front mounter inter-cooler was a no no for me coupled with the fact it would loose some boost and thus performance.

My mate told me about a cheap modification, that he had used with good success, so I acquired a Fiat Cinquento 950cc engine coolant radiator for £45 purely for cooling the intake charge, a beefier coolant pump since i still have the original air to water aftercooler, I then changed to a antifreeze/water/water wetter mix, after logs and some maths this only reduced the intake temps to low 50's and they would still take an age to drop however it was better at around 11% improve but still not ideal. I also relocated the IAT sensor into the aftercooler piping just before the throttle body, test showed that the temp difference when not heatsoaked was more or less the same as when it was in the intake manifold, but the heatsoak was much less and dropped quicker! - job done!. Notice on model year 2006's honda's moved this temp sensor from its original position likely due to heatsoak.

I got talking to Raz, for some reason he kept asking me to go round his house late at night and kept saying bring some grease or products with lubrication, he also kept mentioning a someone/something called 'mark' in his cupboard must be his dog or something - i still to this day don't know what he was on about. We set about installing the meth kit after a bit of botched job by me at first, it was finally completed during this time winter had set in so it wasn't really ideal to boot it, a few weeks back i did some runs and was amazing based the consistent intake temps it produced how much it lowered them! - around 30c and was more or less the same temps throughout! - job done.

I also installed a full 3 inch manifold back exhaust system but swapped back to a dual exhaust as i was never really in love with the single pipe look I had previously.

The setup of the car is
Novi1000 SC setup 3inch pulley @ 14.6psi
DMS 3" exhaust dual system with decat
Custom CAI
Relocated IAT sensor
AEM meth system 45 meth /55 water mix
Sideways Cam woodruff cam keys - which appear to do very little!
Greddy EMU

Onto the tuning, i suspected my mates dyno (which is coast down dyno) read high, in a nutshell it did with high power cars. Since i was finishing with the car i decided to pay extra and go to a dyno dynamics dyno (standard cars typically dyno'd a little less then manufacturers figures on this dyno) as these are considered the most accurate.

Since i was renting the dyno out and tuning i decided to try and do the bulk of the work on the road to cut down on costs. After some tweaking of the fuel map (which was a little lean), advancing of timing due to the meth and exhaust i ended up with a figure of
just over 440BHP/275 lb ft @fly @14.6 psi i also weighted the car again and it came up on analogue weigh bridge at around 1235KG so that roughly 360 bhp per ton, i employed some weigh savings on the car.

I was expecting more power TBH (was a little disappointed at first) and not sure if this is a reasonable figure for this setup since only Jim has something close but now my setup is more or less maxxed out power wise , but after talking to the fella and browsing the internet i will only use dyno dynamics dyno's in the future, it was a well setup dyno and accurate!.

So thats it really, I'm not in love with the tailpipes on the exhaust, the plan is to slash cut them and get a burnt tip a little like the mugen exhaust or go to stock MY06 tips for the stock look!

Lastly, it must be getting older since I'll be 30 soon having owned the car nearly 8 years i got a bit fed up fiddling with the car and being underneath it, so its just as well I have my fabia VRS now!

Some pics, check the flame video and the guy shitting himself

You'll see the meth port is way way back from the TB, a lot of TB's have this port far too close to the TB which doesnt allow enough atomisation time.

SC? Intercooler where?!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhCKe...ature=youtu.be
^ check out the flame half way through and the lad shitting himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgys...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well done mate.

Just had mine remapped today aswell - 388whp/466bhp at 16 psi

Good knows how it's making that much but I've had it on two separate dynos and they both read the same (Dyno Dynamics hub dyno and Dyno Dynamics rollers)

You got any graphs to post?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice

So where exactly is the charge cooler or intercooler...or do you not have one? I couldn't figure that bit out form what you said
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So AJ if the meth stopped spraying would there be det or is it right on the edge tuned to the max :-)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim, bloody hell good figures that's high boost though for our novi1000 you are definitely over spinning it mate, the unit apparently can only take 14psi safely i recall. Looks like both our cars are in the same region, though yours in making more boost and more power and if bolted onto your car yours would make more power. Yes I have graphs, but i need to buy a scanner/printer I've just tried taking a picture of the graph on my phone and its shit .

TBH the GEMU is starting to show some weaknesses now, i reckon i could get a little more power out of the car running saying an AEM series 2 ECU but for the small increase it isnt worth the potential say £1000 odd more as I'm not wanting to modify the car further.

Alex, yeah i have still have the aftercooler its in the engine bay and water pipes going to a radiator so i dont run a intercooler so to speak.

Lee, I'm not sure since i never want to test it without water there is a status warning light that flashes when the level gets really low so if i forget i can look out for that. I'm only running 40/60.

One thing I'm not sure how much it will effect it but i was running late, i had 2/3 vpower and had to fill up with optimax 97 ron as i couldn't find a shell station