UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Getting my 4th diff tomorrow. Can anyone top that for unreliability?

Old 10-20-2003, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my 4th diff tomorrow. Can anyone top that for unreliability?

Third diff was on for only 500 miles before I started to suffer the same mechanical grinding noises that befell the second one. Not very pleased at all and will be writing to Honda UK for reassurance that I'm not going to have to pay for one of these things myself at any point.

Also, Honda UK recommended that the drive shaft be packed with grease to reduce transmission whine (not that I thought it was particularly whiny in the first place). Anyone else had this done?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:23 AM

Surely this has got to be down to either

a) The garage that is replacing your diffs is damaging them during install or

b) There is something else wrong at the back of the car that's putting undue stress on them

What failed on the 1st one? Same grinding noise?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:36 AM

I did question the wisdom of replacing the diff again as it seemed unlikely that I would get two duff ones, but the garage were adamant that it was a diff problem. To be fair, given that it's a mecahnical grinding noise under the back of the car that occurs when pulling away on full lock, it's difficult to imaging what else it could possibly be.

The first one was replaced because the garage said that it was whining under acceleration out of corners when they were checking the car for an unrelated issue. I'd not even noticed and am beginning to wish that I'd stuck with the first one.

If I could think of anything else to buy, I would be seriously considering getting rid once this current issue is sorted. As it is, the only thing that tempts me is a 3350Z convertible and they're not even for sale here yet (at all?).
Old 10-20-2003, 12:54 PM

This thread appears to have found its way out of the forum. Are we no longer permitted to discuss S2000 unreliability issues?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does seem a little odd - are they replacing the diff itself, or the gears?

Unless it was noticably broken, the torsen unit itself should be quiet. Since the diff is likely to come as a unit from the manufacturer as a unit, it's unlikely I think that the problem is there. The diff gears, could be shimmed incorrectly, which would be noisy. That's one possiblity for the second and third diffs - getting the shimming right for the diff gears might be tricky. I doubt it's something dealers do so often. As to other causes for the noise, there have been some problems pitting in the driveshafts. If they're packing the drive shafts with grease, they should see any problem there.

-Brian.