UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardtop DIY Adjustment

Old 02-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop DIY Adjustment

Hi All

I've had my s2000 about 2 months - love it, but the squeaks and knocks are driving me nuts!

I had a look around the forums, and sticking a bit of cable sheath on the inside of the lock handles on the hardtop cures most of them. Also noticed that if I unlock the handles at the back, there's a bigger gap on one side than the other (i see daylight on one side).

I also have a problem with the heated window on the top not working - and the roof operates with the top on, which isn't right. I had a look and there's a little rubber lump on one side of the top that should press the button on the left side hard top bracket thing, and guess what - it's on the wrong side.

I figure it's obviously been installed by a plank.

Armed with this I went back to my (Honda) dealer, who assures me they have some Master Technician wonder-guy who knows all. I point out the gap with the handles unlocked, and get the response 'hmm... maybe there's something to adjust behind there' (point to inside of car behind seat) 'we've never had to adjust anything like that'.

Pointed out the little button/rubber lump error, which drew more confused looks - even before I suggested that maybe the switch not being pressed would be why the rear heater doesnt work... which seemed to blow their minds..

Anyhow - since they obviously don't know a great deal, I've managed to locate a guide on how to install a hard top on an S, and a copy of the 00-03 service manual. Pulled the rear quarters off my hardtop, and found the 3 bolts to adjust the rear brackets.

I've had it on and off (missus getting annoyed after the xth time) and made lots of adjustments, but find getting it right really tricky even with the proper instructions.

Anyone got any good tips on getting it right?

Also there's reference in the manual to shims behind the front lock handles - anyone had to take any of these out to get a tight fit? I'm thinking maybe this will have the effect of sticking my bit of cable in the front hook?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the Honda workshop manual section that covers the retro-fitting of a hardtop, but it also refers to adjusting the bolts to ensure even clearance all round. Section 14, IIRC ...

Download the pdf here

Never actually tried it myself, but it appears to just involve the removal of a couple of bits of trim and the adjustment of some bolts. However, it's possible that it may be tricky without removing the seats ...
Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Hi - thanks for the response, but I've already got that pdf... It's what got me this far!

I guess I'm looking for some real-life experience/tips. Or even a dealer/independant recommendation from someone who's had someone do a good job of the adjustments...?

Aaron
Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 PM

where abouts are you?

i had loadsa problems with mine but they are all sorted! they flexible hosing didnt work for me so i stuck metal shims in the strikers to increase the tension on the front catches. also put metal shims behind the rubber flap on the locating point of the front catches. the back took alot of adjustment too.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM

I messed about with the adjustment on the hardtop pegs. You pull off the two pieces of plastic covering the pegs, and get 2 axis of movement to play with.

Once I got a gap free fit, I used Honda's silicone grease to get the fit rattle & groan free.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine adjusted by my local dealer - they also changed the seal around the top of the wind screen. They did a job and I have no rattles now. They had the car most of a day

Interesting I had a chat with the techy afterwards and he was telling me that they have had a few rattly GTs come though recently and he is getting quite proficient at levelling HTs! He couldn
Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it off
I do!