UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and introduction

Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and introduction

Good evening all,

Just a quick introduction to the Uk section of the S2000 community. Without sounding like I'm on blind date, my names James, I'm 23 (soon to be 24 on the 21st) and am from the south west!

I test drove my first S2000 on tuesday, and I was very impress, slightly weary/optimistic regarding the vetec before the drive due to the torque figures etc. But I'm so impressed I'm in the stages of buying the S2000.

Im currently driving a Seat Leon Cupra R, with a stage one remap etc around 250 bhp, but as you can imagine the two cars are very different and cant really be compared.

The S2000 in question is a 1999 reg with 49,000 miles two owners and is very clean and tidy...minimum wear on the leather seats. The car is completely standard in moon rock grey with red leather and full Honda service. It also boast a private number plate of S200 ORR which appeals to me greatly.

My question is does anyone know of this car? As I see in amongst the service history a membership card to this and S2KUK.com website.

Would would you say a far price is for this car?

Many thanks in advanced

James
Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Around £5.5k - £6k depending on condition. It sounds in good condition, so I would say around £6k was fair. +- 5%.

Welcome to the fold, I am the same age as you so I strongly, strongly advise you to get an insurance quote before going any further. It is quite a shock!

However, it is a cracking car and worth every penny.

Funnily enough I have had a Seat Ibiza before this, nothing as extravagant as your Cupra, only a ickle 1400 Sport, but it was a great chassis and good fun, mega reliable too. Much more forgiving than the S and easier to driver every day, but...get the S on a good day, top down, dry roads and find some B roads and all the troubles of town driving are a distant memory!

VTEC is great fun :thumbsup:

Respect the power though and where it is going, as long as you are not an idiot with your right foot you will be fine, but if you lose respect for the S, it will quickly lose respect for your life and spit you out into the nearest ditch. This is especially relevant in the wet, be very careful in the wet!

Most of all, I would recommend doing some track time, either in the S or do some racing driver tuition, just to get the feel for RWD and what it does on the limit, plus planning and looking ahead, gear shifts, braking points, weight control and transfers, etc. Well worth £100, it could save you a lot more and it makes the S much more rewarding when you nail an apex just right from the training.

I did all mine at Thruxton in a Lotus Exige S, good times!

Check for a few things on the car:-

New roof or is it still the plastic window? Is it frayed or split at the bottom of the roof and secondly, check both drivers and passenger side for a hole above your right/left shoulder respectively. A new roof is about £700 from Monsoon, which is mohair, so an upgrade of the vinyl roof the car comes with.

Geometry. The bushes can seize, I have had my car a year now and I still need to get mine done, apparently it makes the world of difference but the bolts can seize. Worth asking if it has ever been done.

These cars burn oil. Check the level on the dip stick and ask the owner what oil he uses, he should know if it has been looked after!

And check the FAQ, there is a sticky on the main page with everything that is a minor issue with the car. Don't let it put you off though, on a car with such low mileage I doubt you will have many problems.

Hope everything comes off OK for you!

Graham
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Hi James, in the south west eh?. That makes at least three of us now! (I lie a few more than three). If there's two owners on the book, It shouldn't be hard to trace the one who was/is on here, if you are buying private it's either him or the guy he bought it from, Dealer would have the details of who the got it from and could ask the last owner for you.
What bit of the SW are you in? Mabey an experenced member could give it a look over for you.

A good read through the FAQ would be useful.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HiJames

I remember seeing the S200 ORR In Lookers Nottingham in late 1999, it was the first S2 they had, but this was Silverstone/Red Black so the reg must have been sold on.

Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by James_JDM
The car is completely standard in moon rock grey with red leather and full Honda service.

Moonrock was not available until 2004 IIRC so I suspect the car colour will be Silverstone.

If it isn't, it aint standard.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As said previous get an insurance quote before you do anything!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 AM

Many thanks for your replies guys,

Sorry the car is siliverstone with the red/black. It turns out the car was originally based in Nottingham, and was a demonstrator at the Honda garage up there. The car will come with a new MOT with all the advisories carried out if there are any, 6 moths tax and the private plate. The dealer will not budge on the £6995 asking price. But Like i said the car is in very good condition. I have checked the service history (full Honda) and there is nothing regarding a geometry set up/adjustment or suspension bushes. The garage have phoned all the previous Honda garages to see if they can shed any light on any geometry set ups etc the car may have had, but have had no joy and it doesn't look like the car has had any. With the car only having 49,000 miles and the previous owner only using the car in dry weather, does that make the suspension bushes fairly low risk?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
James
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 AM

Umm, only way to tell really is to try and get it set up, does the garage offer a warranty?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 AM

Yeah the car will come with a 3 month warranty.

Under the front and rear suspension section of the warranty, it reads;

Hydrolastic displacers and hydropneumatic spheres, coil sringps, upper and lower wishbone and ball and swivel joints.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd except at that age (1999) it will have some seized bushes, unless they have already been done or the car is a JDM (import).

Quick Reply: Hello and introduction