UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda prelude 2.2

Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on honda revoloutins it got put into the recylcle bin. They a bit serious on there?

I am a little puzzled. The weekend just gone I followed a friend of mine in his prelude. It seems very very quick. I drive an S2000. I thought my car would easily show his car up. He has an induction kit and a full stainless exhaust. I think that is the only engine mod he has got. Its lowered and on 18's with a large rear wing. I decided to follow him and go for a burn up round the new forest.
Bearing in mind I know these roads very well as I have driven them at high speeds since I started driving. It was sunny and the roads were mainly dry. My friend has done a few track days and drives most places at full pelt. So i wanted to follow him so he would dictate the speed of the drive. After following him for about two miles at quite a brisk pace, he opened it up. The roads had very light traffic so it was almost like a race track. I really struggled to keep up with him round a lot of the tighter corners. When we approached a long straight we where slowed up by three cars doing around 45 mph. As my friend moved to overtake I heard him change down. I selected 2nd gear and followed him round the cars. I was about three car lengths behind him. Now I thought this would be a good place to real him in and see if I could go round him. As I changed on the redline in 3rd and 4th I only managed to pull maye be 1 car length back. This is from 45 to 117 kph. There was hardly anything in it. I also noticed a flash of flame from his exhaust when changing out of 3rd to 4th. I am wondering if he hit the limter but he didn't say anything. Im going to see if we can run the cars side by side next weekend so maybe get a video of it. Im fealling a little dis-heartend that my car couldn't pull past his. Are preludes almost as fast as an S2000?

When i got home i checked evo magazine out for stats. there is a 30 bhp difference between mine car when looking at power to weight ration. 190 for the s2000 and 160 per tonne for the prelude. My car has a k&n filter fitted and is totally stock apart from front and rear OEM spoilers. It has also just had its 27000 miles service and running fully sythetic oil. I am not contesting his driving skills as I know he is more experienced at driving fast. But that dosn't come into play on a dead straight road.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

They do moderate quite a lot over there, in my experience. I have spoken to Sammy about some gripes I had, but she doesnt really do much with Forum Admin.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 PM

Maybe cause you posted your blurb twice.

My mate had the prelude and it is a very quick car. The power band is extremely narrow though and it is very easy to hit the limiter and very hard to drive properly.

The gearing is set up to keep you in that tiny vtec range up the gears, but with a confident experienced driver, I'm not that surprised it was giving you trouble.

The difference in power to weight for the cars is probably close enough for body weight to make a difference.
Certainly you shouldn't be expecting to leave him standing and if he is good on the changes then you may well struggle.

in other words don't fret it, they are both great cars, the prelude is just too much like hard work for me and he can't appreciate the sun in the same way :0
Old 03-08-2004, 03:02 PM

Honda Revolutions don't approve of 'Road Racing', which is why you will have been recycled over there. I find they're a bit keen to moderate without explanation which seems to cause more trouble than a simple 'no street racing - thread deleted' message would.

As for the S2000/Prelude performance difference, it's surprising how cars with very different paper figures perform similarly on the road.

In the driving seat, I found my S2000 significantly faster than the Prelude. More than that, the handling is in a different league.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:08 PM

Right there is something funny with the computers at work. it takes about 20 minutes for a new topic post to appear on the forum. the post replys appear straight away. seems strange.
when i previewed my thread it read fine. i don't know why its double in the same post?
The s2000 is brilliant in the corners however you need to be confident. Did i mention i had a civic type r for a few hours on friday>? the S was in for an MOT. so they gave me the new civic type r. lovely gear box. very smooth. not as quick as the S though.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:33 PM

Isn't the lude FWD, and don't you lose less BHP to the wheels on a FWD compared to RWD, followed by AWD/4WD ?

EDIT: Drive-train power-loss is what I'm driving at I think.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Ade

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Putney
I was about three car lengths behind him. Now I thought this would be a good place to real him in and see if I could go round him. As I changed on the redline in 3rd and 4th I only managed to pull maye be 1 car length back. This is from 45 to 117 kph.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been discussed before here, but in the real world, despite what the stats on paper might suggest, there really is little difference between most cars on the road when driven in a similar style - if you come across an aggresively, well driven modern repmobile you will be surprised (disappointed) by how little ground you can put between hm/her and the S.................
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Prelude 2.2 chase me up the Bewdley by-pass one day when I was in the old NSX-T. He was clearly thrashing the nuts off it but I was surprised that I didn't leave him in the far distance. I think I pulled out about 400 yards over a 1 3/4 mile stretch.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putney - If you can't see your post again remember that the Topic does not show until the page is refreshed! This used to fox me!

Quick Reply: Honda prelude 2.2