UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

As I Was on My Way to St Ives

Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As I Was on My Way to St Ives

I didn't see anything of that guy with all the wives and cats. What a relief!

When undertaking a long drive to our destination in the UK we tend to use a hotel for our coffee/ toilet break. It is not much more expensive than a motorway service station, and is worth the extra for a beautiful lounge and waitress service. This meant an early start, and for only the second time in ten years of ownership, we were spotted on the M25 at 6-30am by dan_bourne! When travelling to the West Country our preferred stop is Bovey Castle near Moretonhampstead on the edge of Dartmoor. As this distance picture shows, it is a very imposing building.

We've arrived and made ouselves at home in one of the lounges. Coffee for two, and two large toasted tea-cakes, with lashings of butter and jam for £13.39 with the facilities on offer: a real bargain!

Another lounge viewed from the Minstrel's Gallery.

And, in case you want a stroll in the grounds, and have forgotten your boots;

The house was built in 1907 as a grand home, and was known as Moretonhampstead Manor. It was acquired by the Great Western Railway in the late 1930’s and became Moretonhampstead Manor House Hotel, eventually coming under the control of the British Transport Commission. When my wife and I first visited it struck me as incongruous that a five star hotel with a world-wide reputation should be owned by the BTC (as was!)

In 2003 the hotel was purchased by Peter de Savary, who spent a great deal of money in refurbishing the property, and then, to the anguish of the ‘locals’, renamed it Bovey Castle after the river which runs through the estate.

The hotel is surrounded by a beautiful golf course which was featured in the early 1980s TV series ‘Around with Alliss’, in which Peter Alliss played golf and interviewed well-known people. I watched most of the programs and remember that there was a lot more chat than golf! The view from the rear of the hotel shows part of the golf course.

Right, we're on our way!

Rather than heading for the A30 we drove across Dartmoor, where most of Steven Spielberg’s acclaimed film ‘War Horse’ was shot, to travel via Tavistock and Liskeard. This was a super top down run, and, although the roads across the moor have a 40mph (cough, cough) limit we manage to avoid all the sheep.

First impressions on arrival at our hotel in St. Ives, the Tregenna Castle Hotel which we have not stayed at before, are positive. We have a sea view room on the first floor of the original building which was constructed in 1774, and it is beautifully furnished with lovely views.

I was interested to find that this property, like Bovey Castle, although built as a grand home was taken over by the Great Western Railway to be used as a hotel when the railway was extended to St. Ives.

Right! we're nicely settled in, and will add some of the delights of touring this part of Cornwall later on.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice wee bothy.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Lovely story so far Dennis
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Great post and pics
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice update

Dan
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Shame you didn't use the A39 via Wadebridge, you could have dropped in at mine for a couple of bacon butties and a mug of coffee, I would have only charged a tenner. Hope you are enjoying the crisp sunshine today.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM
P 1

Great post and pictures Dennis

Keep the pictures coming

(By the way, you still have last year's NT sticker in the windscreen!)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by P 1
Just flash your membership card at the ticket dudes, they will give you a nice purple one, asuming you are still a member.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Shame you didn't use the A39 via Wadebridge, you could have dropped in at mine for a couple of bacon butties and a mug of coffee, I would have only charged a tenner. Hope you are enjoying the crisp sunshine today.
I did keep my eyes open for someone in a clanking set of armour, but saw no sign of you!

Originally Posted by P 1
Great post and pictures Dennis

Keep the pictures coming

Nope, it's this years badge! Last year's is on the wife's Civic.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're down near my neck of the woods

Didn't know most of Warhorse was filmed on Dartmoor, a lovely drive on a sunny day with the roof down, perfect with the recent weather we've had in the last few days. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time down here

Quick Reply: As I Was on My Way to St Ives