UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Low mileage

Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konicky did you go to look at this car? ive been thinking about going to see this also.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macdond
If the car has a full service history then it shows the owner cared for it
Or it shows the owner responded to a request from Honda once a year, and did nothing at all in the meantime.

My opinion is miles kills cars, worn suspension, brakes and reduced compression.
Use kills cars. Do motorway miles count as much as trackday miles?

It's a shame it doesn't record hours of use, which would be more sensible, and (correct me if I'm wrong) is the way they schedule maintenance for things like aeroplanes.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 AM

I had an 8yr old single owner legend .... 14k miles .....serviced annually at Honda. As soon as I started 'using' it I got some appalling bills as various parts deteriorated really quickly. Air con, hoses, brakes (inc calipers) and even suspension.

There was nothing wrong with it, it just caught up in age like Dorian Grey.

These days I look for something with the 'right' miles, my priority is low numbers of owners.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is basically what I was referring to in my post:

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by macdond' timestamp='1373839814' post='22665461
If the car has a full service history then it shows the owner cared for it
Or it shows the owner responded to a request from Honda once a year, and did nothing at all in the meantime.

My opinion is miles kills cars, worn suspension, brakes and reduced compression.
Use kills cars. Do motorway miles count as much as trackday miles?

It's a shame it doesn't record hours of use, which would be more sensible, and (correct me if I'm wrong) is the way they schedule maintenance for things like aeroplanes.
Originally Posted by kew2k
I had an 8yr old single owner legend .... 14k miles .....serviced annually at Honda. As soon as I started 'using' it I got some appalling bills as various parts deteriorated really quickly. Air con, hoses, brakes (inc calipers) and even suspension.

There was nothing wrong with it, it just caught up in age like Dorian Grey.

These days I look for something with the 'right' miles, my priority is low numbers of owners.
Prime examples of why low mileage isn't always a good thing. Personally I'd rather have a high mileaged motorway muncher car, as a lot of motorway miles is going to be the least stress on a car. Like I said, a low mileage car used for lots of short journeys, rammed over speed bumps every day, lots of cold starts, not warming up the engine properly is going to be much worse than a motorway queen which has sat at 65 all day long and just used tyres!

I viewed a 130k S2000 once that was silly cheap (should have bought it!) and it was the best condition one I've seen to this day. It did however have a dodgy seller (seller's "brother" - seller was apparently abroad) and had a 40k / 3 year gap in service history! - these things are more important than low miles.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by J1mmys
Konicky did you go to look at this car? ive been thinking about going to see this also.
Not yet! Tried on Sunday but got stuck on the M25. Bit concerned that it's on owner number 5 at 14,000 miles.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 AM

5 owners in 7 years sounds rather excessive - i'd be very wary.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Agreed! Especially as all combined they have only managed to do 14,000 miles! The seller hasn't responded to my enquiry about old MOT certificates to help verify the mileage so I think I'll leave it and look elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM

Sports cars to tend to have more owners than normal cars as people may just buy them for the summer, etc. However if that were the case you'd expect the mileage to be a little higher than 14k. Saying that it does look very clean from the pictures. Check all the MOTs online, if all good. I'd get it an independent inspection done on it.job done. But if he wont even give info on the MOTs, bye bye.

I nearly had one last week a red 05, 43k on it. Service history was really good, extremely clean car, it needed an MOT. The seller said ill stick it through, it will fly through. The front suspension arm was cracked! So always approach with caution. I'll be honest i was gutted.

Theres a black 08, 22k miles! on ebay id give a wide birth to also,look at the seat bolster guy said he'd get it re-leathered!!

Originally Posted by konicky
Originally Posted by J1mmys' timestamp='1373898335' post='22666487
Not yet! Tried on Sunday but got stuck on the M25. Bit concerned that it's on owner number 5 at 14,000 miles.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konicky
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1373980130' post='22668658
Agreed! Especially as all combined they have only managed to do 14,000 miles! The seller hasn't responded to my enquiry about old MOT certificates to help verify the mileage so I think I'll leave it and look elsewhere.
If you have the reg you can check this yourself online
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
Originally Posted by konicky' timestamp='1373990873' post='22669047
[quote name='GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1373980130' post='22668658']
If you have the reg you can check this yourself online
[/quote]

I think you need the reg and either V5 ref number or current mot test certificate number?

Quick Reply: Low mileage