UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

oem hardtop leak?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem hardtop leak?

Hi guys,

When I have the hardtop on I get a leak at the corner where the window meets the weatherseal, attached pics showing how the water gets in and trickles down the weather seals and flows down to the inner door jamb. Is this normal?

Dont want to drive in the rain if this isnt normal

Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has it been greased up recently?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:43 AM

Mine did the same. I greased it (OEM greaser, cant' remember the name), put rubber tubing on the little hook that attaches to the strikers, and I also put tubing inside the sealer (the one that is attached across the window frame - it is hollow at the corner, and can be expanded by filling it out). Problem solved, no leak or whistles
Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Remember2
Mine did the same. I greased it (OEM greaser, cant' remember the name), put rubber tubing on the little hook that attaches to the strikers, and I also put tubing inside the sealer (the one that is attached across the window frame - it is hollow at the corner, and can be expanded by filling it out). Problem solved, no leak or whistles
Shin Etsu silicon grease I think is the name

No it hasnt been greased, only used aerospace 303 protectant spray

Was thinking of putting a sponge there or using silicon around the seal

@Remember2 would like to know more about the rubber tubing, are you able to post pictures if possible?

Also when driving at high speeds do you hear any external/internal wind noise? I can hear some whirling wind noise at high speed but cant tell if its coming from outside or inside......i dont feel any wind inside the car though so i presume its just external wind noise
Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 AM

I have just reapplied shin etsu grease on the seals and put my hardtop back on this morning, I used to get a few odd drips that would get through with the soft top depending on the angle of the rain, both mine have done it I figured it was just one of those things where the rubber seals are now a few years old and not quite as good as they were when new
Old 08-23-2015, 03:54 AM

I wouldn't use sponge in a wet area......
Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by frutter
Originally Posted by Remember2' timestamp='1440326607' post='23723457

@Remember2 would like to know more about the rubber tubing, are you able to post pictures if possible?

Also when driving at high speeds do you hear any external/internal wind noise? I can hear some whirling wind noise at high speed but cant tell if its coming from outside or inside......i dont feel any wind inside the car though so i presume its just external wind noise

Yep, that's the name

I just used some gasoline tubing. Could be anything really (doesn't need to be a tube) - it's just a matter of expanding the original seal the help it press harder against the window and hardtop. I hear no wind noise, only the "rumbling" in the cabin as to be expected, but nothing related to air leaks. Do these three things, and I'm sure your leaks will be gone (I had the same problem in both sides, and it handled both)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 AM

The hollow part where you put the gasoline tubing is the green square? I think slight leakage is normal as the weather strip has drainage channels (as shown by the arrows) which keeps water from dripping down onto the seat and interior.......correct me if i am wrong

I also think putting extra padding there can worsen the weather seal conditions as its putting more pressure on the seals and in the long term cause more leakage when they get loose again

Originally Posted by Remember2
Originally Posted by frutter' timestamp='1440328640' post='23723464
[quote name='Remember2' timestamp='1440326607' post='23723457']

Yep, that's the name

I just used some gasoline tubing. Could be anything really (doesn't need to be a tube) - it's just a matter of expanding the original seal the help it press harder against the window and hardtop. I hear no wind noise, only the "rumbling" in the cabin as to be expected, but nothing related to air leaks. Do these three things, and I'm sure your leaks will be gone (I had the same problem in both sides, and it handled both)
[/quote]