UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Predict the handling

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rears are not pointing out m1bir - they are pointing in - that would be toe in. I guess the little graphics are hard to read.

The handling was excellent. Unfortunately I had all my runs in the rain, but still, this setup felt the best the car ever felt.

There was less rear step out than usual (in the wet!) and when it did, it was very controllable (within the realm of my limited ability) . Running through some tight slaloms did not provoke any oversteer - the car seemed planted to the ground. How much of that was the sticky rubber and how much was a combo of the rubber/Geo I don't know.

Dembo, for some reason my right rear would not give more than -1.9 with me in the car. I was aiming for -2.5 but couldn't get there. In any case, the AutoX Faq suggests with stock suspension, one should not run as radical as a Geo as when on a modified setup. So I went with that.

Do you guys run these high -ve cambers as a norm or just when going to do some track stuff? How badly does this wear the inside? I am wondering if to leave the Geo like this or return it to normal. If feels soooo good though.

As far as results, go , I didn't do too well because I was not willing to push the car too hard in the wet given the venue was surrounded by hard stuff. I pushed hard enough to take the rear inside wheel off the ground (need that 1.25" (YES INCH ) front bar. I was near the only NA car is a sea of Evolutions, Sti's and turbo fwd MMC Mirages and Golft GTis. Oh well, my car is in tact, and a bit more experience under the belt.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Trinis,

I run that sort of camber all the time. (1'30, 2'00).

My car does trash the inside tyres a bit at the front, but I like the bite. I still scrub the outer edges!

But most of my driving is down twisties, very little straight.

But well set up, it does handle beautifully (those braces help!) and will give some serious stuff a hard time on the track. It is far better than its reputation would suggest.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mostly wear the outsides, but then mine doesn't get used every day, and when it does I try to avoid going in straight lines. Feels great having the cornering grip, though sometimes it tramlines so badly you're convinced the steering has broken. Also with the front camber it's easier to get the ABS to cut in whilst braking hard on rough roads.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, well I think I will leave the Geo as is for now seeing mine is not a daily driver. Here are some pics.

The 255s in the back.

They fit flush with the 8.5" wheels, suggesting this IS the correct tyre size?

My stable mate:

The Karts:

Good view of the venue - not too "balls to the walls" inspiring

One of the Evos

And check this race sequence - these pics are taken mere minutes apart in order of starts - all in my class:
Mirage FWD turbo - no rain - makes as much trq at the wheels as I make HP.

Golft Gti turbo - rain just started - ground only damp

S2000 on the track- bucket a drop coming down.

Lowcost 7 also in the deluge

Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting Pics.

The 255s seem to fit well. 2000CR uses that size, too, so you're probably onto something.

That downpour will learn me not to take the piss out of the Trinidadian weather in future!