UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Questions regarding the purchase of a used s2000

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding the purchase of a used s2000

Hello everyone,

I've been a long time forum lurker here but never signed up because it has not been until recently that I have been able to actually afford to own and insure an s2000. I've been looking into picking up an s2000 for less than £7,500 but had a few questions about model years and wear and tear items that need replacing depending on the age and mileage of the car. I have looked at the following thread for information on changes made to the car over the years:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/755...r-differences/

I know that the UK s2000 retained the F20C motor and it looks like the sweet spot years for a UK s2000 are 2002-2005 to ensure that you get the revised suspension changes from the early 1999-2001 models and also avoid the higher tax costs of the 2006 and later models. So, my questions revolving around the 2002-2005 models are as follows:
  1. Are the 2004 suspension changes worth the premium over the 2002 suspension changes from the 1999-2001 cars?
  2. The engines appear to be relatively bulletproof like most Honda motors, but is there anything to look out for on a higher mileage vehicle? I'm aware that these cars are chain driven rather than belt driven which is nice but I've also read about re-valving jobs once the cars get up there in mileage. At what mileage is this usually done?
  3. At what mileage/year do the suspension bushings start to seize and need replacing? Apparently this is a very expensive job so I would like to avoid this if possible. After purchasing the car I will take it to be geo'd and also change the shocks and springs if they are tired, but I don't want to have to pay the labour costs to replace all of the suspension bushings.
  4. Any rust issues that I should keep an eye out for? i.e. particular wheel arches, etc.?
  5. Are there any gearbox issues that become more prevalent as the miles wear on? I know that the Integra's were prone to a 3rd gear syncro issue after a while.
  6. Are there any known issues with the soft top aside from the usual wear from the weather over time? Is the electric mechanism known to fail quickly? How well does the weather stripping hold up to keep water out of the cabin?
  7. Are there any other issues that I should be made aware of when looking at a used s2000?

I'm impartial to the pre-facelift or facelift looks of the car as I think both models look great. I'm a bit annoyed that most s2000's that you see on the used market are silver or dark grey. I guess not many people were keen on ordering a more interesting colour back when these were available at Honda dealerships. If this were a commuter Honda rather than a weekend toy I wouldn't be very concerned with mileage, as I had a 1991 Honda Civic back in the day that had 335,000 miles on it and it still drove like a champ when I sold it. However, considering this is a sports car that has probably been driven relatively hard by its previous owners I want to make sure that I don't just go out there and buy the first one I see out of excitement and forget to take into consideration the advice you guys give me on my questions above and anything else that is important.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by cib24
  1. Are the 2004 suspension changes worth the premium over the 2002 suspension changes from the 1999-2001 cars?
  2. The engines appear to be relatively bulletproof like most Honda motors, but is there anything to look out for on a higher mileage vehicle? I'm aware that these cars are chain driven rather than belt driven which is nice but I've also read about re-valving jobs once the cars get up there in mileage. At what mileage is this usually done?
  3. At what mileage/year do the suspension bushings start to seize and need replacing? Apparently this is a very expensive job so I would like to avoid this if possible. After purchasing the car I will take it to be geo'd and also change the shocks and springs if they are tired, but I don't want to have to pay the labour costs to replace all of the suspension bushings.
  4. Any rust issues that I should keep an eye out for? i.e. particular wheel arches, etc.?
  5. Are there any gearbox issues that become more prevalent as the miles wear on? I know that the Integra's were prone to a 3rd gear syncro issue after a while.
  6. Are there any known issues with the soft top aside from the usual wear from the weather over time? Is the electric mechanism known to fail quickly? How well does the weather stripping hold up to keep water out of the cabin?
  7. Are there any other issues that I should be made aware of when looking at a used s2000?
  1. Matter of personal opinion, some people prefer the older cars, some the new.
  2. Not heard of revalving, though the lower miles the better, in general.
  3. Can happen once the car is one year old, may not happen at all. Find out from the owner if the alignment has been done, or if the bolts have been greased/polybushes fitted.
  4. Sills join below the doors, rear arches
  5. Some are prone to jump out of 5th gear, plenty of 2nd hand boxes available though.
  6. Loads of threads on the usual places for tears, search for soft top tear or soft top holes
  7. See the FAQ https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/301...nical-faq-v21/ for answers to most other things. Another very useful thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...replace-first/ as is this, though some US-centric things can be ignored https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...g-a-used-s2000
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 AM

Also bear in mind the door cards of the 04 on allow a bit more elbow room. Only a bit more though.

Looks wise it depends which style wheel you like. I much prefer the facelift wheels but it's a matter of taste.

Funny you comment on the grey cars, a lot of the runs I've been on there have been nearly as many black/blue cars.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi I bought a 99 in 2009 for £9000 with 30k on it absolutely been over the moon ever since loved every second of it the only things that I have had to replace are all four calliper's not all at once though. Whenever I take it to my Local Honda Dealer they just keep saying these cars are bullet proof and if well looked after and not abused they are. The only real draw back with pre 2003 is the plastic rear screen but like me you can upgrade this.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by sharksfinn
Hi I bought a 99 in 2009 for £9000 with 30k on it absolutely been over the moon ever since loved every second of it the only things that I have had to replace are all four calliper's not all at once though. Whenever I take it to my Local Honda Dealer they just keep saying these cars are bullet proof and if well looked after and not abused they are. The only real draw back with pre 2003 is the plastic rear screen but like me you can upgrade this.
Plastic screen is pre-2002.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by sharksfinn' timestamp='1383592522' post='22861323
Plastic screen is pre-2002.
I was just about to say the same.

IMO, facelift has better looking wheels and interior. However, you can easily change them on earlier model if you wish. Buy the best condition - not the lowest mileage.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Not all 06 cars pay high tax. If you get one registered before 23rd March 2006 you will pay the lower rate tax.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 2000 and currently 2003.
Not had anything break on either apart from timing chain tensioner which I have just done myself (ready to do).
Plastic rear window gives more rear view but glass is far better.
Ride is a lot better on the 03 (even the Mrs says so) noise is down as well.
Year 2000 had clutch buzz (I think). Both gearboxes been great if a little notchy.
You can hear the workings of the car and could make you think there could be an issue, they don't found like a repmobile.
They can also use a bit of oil, needs checking regularly esp when buying
I've only had rust where the screen washer nozzle is on the bonnet.
For 7.5k I'd look for a good 04 or if poss 05, as low miles as poss - sub 60k purely because I prefer as new as possible for my money.
Tappets are usually done i think at 45k service

Enjoy

Sent via Tapatalk 4