UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Radiator grill

Old 07-08-2001, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator grill

Every time I look through the air - intake below the front reg plate I'm struck by how vunnerable that radiator looks to stone damage. It sits well back from the opening due to the engine being positioned so far back but I always find myself wondering how much that thing would cost to replace

My son who works for a small precision engineering firm has fitted his MR2 (Which is similarly vunnerable) with a stainless steel wire grill. It's basically just held in place with cable ties and it looks fantastic He's looking out for a piece for me. I just wonder if I'm likely to experience an undue restriction of the air flow by it's use?

No problems with the MR2 even in this heatwave we've having. Also available possibly in matt black. Do you guys use a grill on track days. Any advice.
Old 07-08-2001, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonky.....depends on the size of mesh, but if the openings are min 1cm each way it shouldn't affect the airflow.

How do you think the s2000 and MR2 compare? I tried the Toyota and Mazda before deciding. Both seemed a bit petite compared to the Honda, which in any event my better half calls my Dinky Toy.

Also, there was nowhere to fit a bike rack on the MR2, which i thought much superior to the MX 5.

Incidentally, do you ever use the tonneau cover....seems too much troble to me and where the heck do you put it if you also want to use the boot?
Old 07-08-2001, 07:03 AM

Tonky, you can check the following link for the test results on air restriction due to the front grill.
http://hondas2000accessories.com/
Old 07-08-2001, 07:05 AM

Nenglender.

Yo.
Thanks for info. The MR2 in question was mine and it's a Mk2. I loved it. It's a very underrated car in my opinion. But did have a bit of a flat spot in the rev range about 2500 or so. We did get a bike rack for that model and could just get 2 mountain bikes on the back. The rack cleared the aerofoil by about 1/2 inch,.but was O.K. so long as we loaded carefully.We had to dismiss the new MR2 as a choice as totally impractical(No boot).

There's a few imported turbo MR2 Mk 2's knocking about of Jap origin. (Same engine as the Celica GT4) My guess is we should all treat those with mucho mucho respect Could be very close anway

The same rack fits the S2000 and we've had two bikes on it.The problem is I'm paranoid about leaving the car any length of time cos you just know it's the soft top that's gonna get it. I know that's what insurance is for but I'd rather not have the hassle)

I have used the tonnaeu cover of late. Car does look better Still a pain though and it's going back in storage I think. On the subject of the new MR2, we went into our local Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago and parked outside the showroom with the top down. Had the usual pi$$ taking from the staff about "Sign it's a nice day" and "Posing again" I was deep in conversation with one of the staff when someone said "Hey you've got competition"
we looked up and a young oriental couple had parked right at the side of the S2000 in a brand new MR2 Mk3 they'd literally just picked up. The top was down and I must say it looked great in light silver with red interior. The couple stood looking at the S2000 and back at the MR2 with expressions that looked kind of........rueful
Old 07-08-2001, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by vlopes
Tonky, you can check the following link for the test results on air restriction due to the front grill.
http://hondas2000accessories.com/
Wow.. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2001, 08:26 AM

hmmmm, those grills look nice....
I wonder If any companies in th UK provide a similar product to fit?
Old 07-08-2001, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
[B]hmmmm, those grills look nice....