UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Knocking

Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the guy I bought it off had all the bushes and bolts changed not long before I bought it. Need to get under it this weekend tho and make sure everything is nice and tight both sides.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:15 AM

Had a good look this morning and everything is super tight and the knocking is well and truly gone. Pretty happy and judging by the replies I'm pretty lucky too.

On another note; does anyone know of or have instructions to install the resistor to bypass the air pump.. all the hoses have been removed and various blanking plates have been installed so its literally just the pump in there (that I want shot of) and I want to get the resistor in there. Any help would be appreciated....again.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of me starting a new thread, I'm wondering if anyone could help me with the exact same problem.

It went in to TGM towards the end of last year for a Geo and some other bits, and on the way home I noticed a loud knocking from the rear left. At the time, I had assumed it was something in the boot knocking about as I had the OEM airbox and other bits in the boot, but it turned out not to be that. I called Tom, drove back down on the weekend and we had everything checked over and came out none the wiser. Tom thought it was possibly a shock going bad, so yesterday I had all new shocks and springs fitted, but to our frustration, it's still knocking!

Work done prior to knocking:
Lower Rear bushes replaced with Poly bushes due to wear/imminent collapse
Hub nuts tightened to new recommended spec
All other remaining bushes checked, greased and adjusted
K&N CAIK fitted

Work carried out yesterday:
4 new Koni yellow shocks
4 new H&R springs (lowers by 25mm)
Top rear bush looked a little worn, temp replacement with 2nd hand top arm.
All bolts re-checked and all arms, bars, prop, driveshafts, diff, subframe, balljoints etc tested for movement - all solid. So back/forth movement in shafts, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Car went for an MOT and passed with flying colours, but the station did hear the sound and couldn't pin-point it either.

We spent the entire day on it yesterday and all left a little deflated.

The noise is not constant, and appears to only happen when going over pot holes, and oddly, drains/manhole covers etc. The other more worrying thing is when it does it, the rear 'shimmys' - especially on a cold, wet cover.. it's hard to explain but it really hasn't inspired any confidence in recent weather. The rear feels incredibly unstable.

Since having the new shocks, it does feel much much better (the old ones had 136k on so bound to be an improvement), but that damn knocking is still there.

I've been googling and googling, but everyone seems to be pointing at different bits. Could someone post a pic of the drop links that maybe I can check this weekend? I need to get to the end of this for my sanity, and my wallet!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM

Have you read this thread and checked your anti roll bar links?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM

I have read this, yes, and TGM checked all bars etc yesterday.
however, if someone could post a picture with exactly what to check, I'd be happy to recheck this on the weekend myself in case they were overlooked...
Old 02-12-2016, 02:17 AM

might be a broken exhaust hanger?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 AM

Cheers Green... Sadly not though - they were solid too...

I'll try and jack up the car up and check those ARB links again. Will have a dig around for some guides as not 100% sure where to check if I'm honest
Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 AM

part 8 in this schematic

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda...7&block_05=hcr
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Cheers buddy. It is the bit I thought it was then - pretty sure they checked the tightness of that - may see if I can get my head under with the wheels on the ground to see what it's like under load.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM

Also check it when it not under load - that's usually when the knock occurs

Quick Reply: Rear Knocking