UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Knocking

Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Originally Posted by PiSoft' timestamp='1460658331' post='23938266
Finally I fixed this problem!!!

I can't believe what a basic little thing it was...

After shaking the rear suspension numerous times I was about to give up all hopes to identify my knocking noise. Today I did some routine maintenance on my rear breaks when I noticed that one of the slider pins were a bit lose in the carrier. I had some extra set of rear brake calipers with carriers so I found another pin that was not loose at all. After putting everything together and going on my favourite bumpy road I can confirm that the noise has GONE!!!

The only clue that I could have taken sooner was that there was no noise when I applied even just a little brake.

Anyway, the morale of the story is that one should never rule out obvious and easy to fix things before looking into more complicated causes.

I hope it helps some other fellow owners with similar problem!
Well done!
Indeed!

I have rattly front pads in the Leg End - the anti-chatter springs weaken, but the screw holding them in the front of the caliper invariably is seized solid so it means a new caliper when it shears. I turn up the ICE...

We has a weird one with the EK4 (thereinafter referred to as squeaky-EKy), where the suspension creaked and groaned over road tits. Dealer went nuts with a tube of copper-ease and it stopped!

So never overlook simple brake issues when trying to diagnose strange noises is the moral of the story.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I checked the rear caliper and it's on solid - no rattles etc. Took it off and cleaned up anyway and still have the same noise.

I'm beginning to wonder if its the differential mounts that have gone? The last time it was up on the ramps, I noticed some grease/oil on the side of the diff - I pointed this out to Tom @ TGM who said it didn't look serious, and was likely that the driveshaft had thrown some oil. However, thinking about it now, if that was the diff mounts (reading suggests they are filled with oil?) could that be causing the diff to move and knock which at the same time would 'pull' the shaft/wheel, producing the shimmy I experience too?

If this is the case, are there alternatives in the UK to the Honda ones which are absurdly priced at £480! ?