UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Replacing Soft top with Glass Rear Screen

Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no wires anywhere near the glass demister though.

I checked the manual and I'm missing a demister reply thing underneath the driver's side dash.

Mark, can you tell me step by step how you did yours?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Jel

Man, further to your PM I thought others may be interested.

People in the pre 02 boat really nead the hard top wiring kit to make the demister operate. It's either a scrap yard job or Jeff aka HTG. Retro fitting the 02 wiring loom does not bear thinking about, I did ALOT of research into it before I tackled the job. Some crazy yanks even made their own loom but it is very technical stuff.

IF you have a hard top it's a case of using a 2.5cm 'zip bit' in the rear quarter panel, then putting the grommet through (like 02+ stock) The two roof wires are connected to electrical wire - I used 6v(?) from Maplin (about 1.5m to be safe) and put a connector on the end from a scrapyard (see later) actually it's the same as the roof motor ones which you could salvage from the old roof.

Then you feed it though the gap near the motor guard panel and down behind the rear panel (behind seat) If you have a HT you open up the sleaving and splice the yellow to the black (needs ground you see) then connect the two created wires to the black and black/silver in the loom.

The problem is if you have a hardtop and operate the heated rear the softtop screen will also come on in the folded position, I disconnect the plug from behind the boot panel, or you could install a switch. Apparently it only reaches 40'F but I didn't like the idea. The wiring for the soft top override I have, but it would be a serious PITA to intergrate into the pre 02.

Hope thats helps. For what it's worth the heated screen isn't really that necessary as it does a far better job than the shitty plastic one could ever dream of, but if you are like me less than perfection isn't an option.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 AM

Bought bits from hardtop guy.

Supplied Relay,2 wiring looms and switch.

First got to your boot and take out the left hand panel next to the spare wheel. under here is a connector unused with blue tape around it.

you need to thread this through to the front of the car on the left hand side. Move passenger seat foward and take off plate that says S2000 on it, now remove the panel where the coat hooks are on,now take off the side panel where the hairy things are. u should be able to thread this connector through now.

Next goto the centre console and remove this(watch for all the wires underneath) there will be another connector in hear with blue tape around it not being used.install switch. Blank cover just pops out

Now hardtop guy gave me a connector to connect to the 1 in the centre console, fitted great. Now run this wire under neath the centre console going around to the right of the car so its hidden under the plastics. then getting the other Y shaped connecter supplied by HARDTOP guy connect this to all your electric connectors.

The only problem I had was that the english car is slightly different to the american car for the connector in the boot. Mine is 3 pin american one is 4 pin.

last put in the relay under the bonnet catch, I think there was only one place you could put it.

Check out this on electric prob

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=436492

Man if u you Pm me your email address I will send u the proper instuctions with pictures on how to do it for an MY2000 or if some one can host it please PM me
Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd recommend Loctite super plastix (two-part) cyanoacetate glue to secure your roll bar covers again.

I used it to bond an HRV interior hatchback handle into the Civic's hatchback trim (they didn't have one!) over six years ago & it's still sound.

PS - I preferred your old avatar. Or is that what happens if asian girls share a lollipop?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:46 AM

Thanks Nick.

Is that stuff available from halfords / B&Q?

Public forum! Can't have kids looking at it, sugar is bad for their teeth!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 AM

Perhaps u could have them eating a Banana!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:45 AM

Good work Man!

You'll be the S2000 Guru soon???
Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Great work that Man

Neil - link to FAQ?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM

And the hardtop 1 with the diffence in electrics to the american S2000

Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody fancy helping me do mine ?

I have the hood, frame, wiring loom, just missing the relay.

Bharat

Quick Reply: Replacing Soft top with Glass Rear Screen