UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: S2Ki Monopoly
Yes, I'd probably want one
42.22%
No thanks, it's not for me
57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

S2Ki Monopoly

Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2Ki Monopoly

Hi folks

It’s been some time since I did anything print-related to S2Ki and, after emailing Erik (cthree), the site owner, over the New Year period, I’m delighted he has given his full support to the idea of an official S2Ki version of Monopoly, celebrating both the site and the car, over the past 10 years. I am already mid-way through a contract in conjunction with Hasbro for an Isle of Arran version of Monopoly (due out in March) , so I have the connections I need to proceed.

HOWEVER, ...
...there are three significant hurdles to cross before we can assume it's going to happen:

1. Support from S2Ki members around the world. I need to ensure that copies will sell in significant numbers as I am funding the venture through my business. As you can imagine, a production run like this costs well into five figures.

2. Support from Hasbro to undertake the contract (this is quite possible, as they are in a no-lose situation, but they do not have any knowledge of the idea as yet). They are very tight over their intellectual property rights and there are various stipulations I need to adhere to regarding design and content.

3. Approval from Honda, based on the fact that we are likely going to use a variety of images of the car and this may include the “H” logo. Hasbro (or their UK agents) will likely clear this on my behalf, but it’s a consideration I can’t take too lightly.

All I need to know from you lot is whether you’d be interested in a copy of the game, as an “official” yet “exclusive/limited edition” pertaining to the S2000 and S2Ki. Obviously, it needs to be a global product to ensure sales targets are reached and I welcome viewpoints from the international community.

The game will (probably) be customised to the extent that “property squares” will become “meets” and/or “communities” from the forums, possibly voted for by the members. On a relatively small production run, I can’t (I don’t think) customise the game pieces, but the box, board, chance cards, community chest cards and currency can all be modified to varying degrees. “Jail”, “Go to Jail”, “Free parking” and “Go” have to remain as they have done since 1935.

Prices, which will include postage, would be around £30 (UK) , €44 (Europe) and potentially as much as $75 (US) due to high airmail costs (the game weighs 1.4kg packed). I’ll look into bulk shipping only if there is a easy way to manage it on both sides of the Atlantic and it works out considerably cheaper.

For those who want to know who is benefiting from this financially, let me assure you that the cost of the product will not make me or anyone else a millionaire (dammit). It is a personal project for my company and, yes, I will be using some of the profits to cover my time, but I have also made provisions for S2Ki to benefit in part. To assist in covering the initial costs, current trade sponsors of S2Ki may be approached to sponsor one of around 8 available squares on the board, but I have yet to discuss this.

Please let me know if you’re interested by voting on the poll. If there’s enough enthusiasm – and I will post something on the international forums too – I can go to the next stage.

I am due to meet the commercial director of one of Hasbro’s main points of contact here in the UK (a company called “Winning Moves”) within teh next 6 weeks. This meeting will hopefully conclude with a “yes” or “no” regarding S2Ki Monopoly.

Thank you

Graham
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM

Great idea - would definitely be interested
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shame you can't replace the houses with Gatso speed camera, with the Hotels being replaced with SPECS.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 AM

will the streets and things be easilly changed when one gets a lotus or a z4m?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 AM

Just a thought but did you know that there is already a 'Make your own Monopoly' board game out there. You have a nice idea but if you did go ahead with your idea what would make me buy yours over my own personalised version like this one? I'm not trying to p1ss on your strawberries Roadkill.

http://www.firebox.com/product/1565/My-Mon...CFZ1h4wodzDTMJA
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curiously interested
How would it work exactly?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 AM

i think you shake a pair of dice then move around the board.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bramblecat,Jan 7 2010, 12:26 PM
Just a thought but did you know that there is already a 'Make your own Monopoly' board game out there. You have a nice idea but if you did go ahead with your idea what would make me buy yours over my own personalised version like this one? I'm not trying to p1ss on your strawberries Roadkill.

http://www.firebox.com/product/1565/My-Mon...CFZ1h4wodzDTMJA
Yes, I knew about this and even people on Arran have commented on such. It's a long way from an "offical" version however, which is customised throughout the box, board and game design. The personalised versions also cost more than twice as much and don't IMHO, live up to the quality of other regional versions.

Mikey, the game play doesn't change. Many companies, public schools, fire departments and so on have their own private yet official versions, where the game sqaures are re-named to coincide with their business/operation. You still buy houses and hotels and still try to rip off your co-players.

An S2Ki version would play the same, but it would feature meets and communities, a lot of photos of members cars and some S2000-related forfeits and bonuses in the chance/community chest cards.

If you go to www.worldofmonopoly.com it will illustrate some of the regional versions that have been done. I'm on teh front page of that website, so wear dark glasses befoe you click on it.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 AM

Great idea, you could make maybe a Honda based monopoloy or say rear wheel drive based one?

You have been caught doing 100mph - Go directly to jail blah blah blah
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be interested, but only if I can be the racing car ...

Quick Reply: S2Ki Monopoly