UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is silver really slower, and did the 04 go soft?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is silver really slower, and did the 04 go soft?

I have 2 S2000s at the moment as I prepare one of them for sale and one to be kept.

My original thought was to keep my MY00 black one. Lets face it, it still looks fantastic at 8 years old and 95k miles, but I decided to drive the 04 for a few days and see what I thought.

Firstly, performance between the two is the same Silver isn't slower - honest

The next thing I noticed is how refined the 04 transmission is compared to the original cars. Gear change is improved - hard to believe but true - and engine noise is much lower. In fact it seems a much quieter car in general.

The suspension is much softer, so I can stand by my frequently made point that the original S2000 is much more hardcore than the 04... However, the 04 is nicer to drive on UK roads. It isn't as talkative but it does soak up the bumps much better than my car (mine had new dampers 30k ago so this is a like for like comparison.) Clutch is much lighter, motorway driving less edgy.

The only real niggles I would have moving to the 04 would be
1. The colour. I spent hours polishing the 04 with Zaino last night and it still looks the same - dull battleship grey

2. There definitely isn't as much leg room in the 04 for some reason

3. Those wheels are too showy - as are the rest of the 04 adornments IMO.

But it still looks like I'll have to make the move. It's not often you get the opportunity to buy a second hand car that you've known from new and has been looked after superbly.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 PM

Okay if the car isn't faster it must have been Becky
Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM

I will concur to that. But it's not Becky, it's the lunatic in the passenger seat telling her not to brake and to drive faster.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some interesting comments there Neil.

I owned a MY02 for some 75K miles so can't compare with the original, allegedly 'harder' models, but IMHO the 07 I have is a better car to drive than the 02 in the real-world.

The transmission does seem smoother (albeit I'm on my second 'box...) and the ride is much better. A recent 1200 mile round-trip to Le Mans confirmed what a comfortable (and practical) long distance tool the S is. Managed 36 mpg too BTW...

A favourite driving route to my mum's, along some great Northumberland roads I've driven on for 30 years, is a real test and I can do it quicker in my 07 than the 02. Maybe I'm more accustomed to the S, but I suspect it's due to the suspension being better suited to real-world roads. Perhaps the later models aren't as good on the track (yet to see any definitive evidence to support this perception held by older model owners I may add) - but for 99.9% of owners (including me) that's an irrelevance.

As for styling, the later model's larger wheels really suit the car - the original's were always a stylistic flaw (as with most Japanese cars). The 'new' lights are dreadful. The rears on the S in all iterations are pretty shabby - too derivative in design from the Supra (and original 2000 GT of course). The Germans always do great rear lights - pity the S stylists hadn't looked further afar for inspiration.

The later model's seats are better - more comfortable and the removal of that daft aperture in the headrest and tacky plastic trim behind was a good move.

The steering still feels dead - the electric steering in my R56 Mini shows how it should be done, but it has the better part of 10 years development over the S so I guess that's hardly surprising.

Heresy may be, but the starter button still ticks me off. Fine on a car with proximity detection and no key, but to have a key and a button undermines the integrity of the car - it's just a showroom gimmick.

I still love the instruments - much better than analogue.

The only flaw in the 07 is a slight flat-spot from low-ish revs.

So for me at least, newer is better.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM

Great post Mark.

Before I borrowed Beccy's S I'd decided to keep mine and sell hers. However 3 days into using it, it's obvious that it is the better everyday car.

If I buy it will be my everyday car, unlike my current S.

I need to have a back to back thrash of them both this weekend I think
Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jul 30 2008, 08:35 AM
I need to have a back to back thrash of them both this weekend I think
I'll look out for you.

My X1/9 will be out and about this weekend after a two year rebuild... 75 HP (allegedly...) and a four speed 'box will be an interesting comparison for me!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Polemicist,Jul 30 2008, 08:25 AM
The steering still feels dead - the electric steering in my R56 Mini shows how it should be done, but it has the better part of 10 years development over the S so I guess that's hardly surprising.
A good geo on the front will sort that, as will the CR rack brace and Muz lower brace - all the feel you need then
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Jul 30 2008, 09:58 AM
A good geo on the front will sort that, as will the CR rack brace and Muz lower brace - all the feel you need then
Better perhaps, but certainly not the last word in steering feel
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 AM

The 04 does seem to have less feel than the 00.

I think that's more to do with less vibrations through the softer suspension than anything to do with the steering though. Maybe my Mugen Castor bushes make a bit of difference too?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Polemicist,Jul 30 2008, 09:40 AM
I'll look out for you.

My X1/9 will be out and about this weekend after a two year rebuild... 75 HP (allegedly...) and a four speed 'box will be an interesting comparison for me!
I think we'll be up at Bamburgh as usual (with both cars as Amanda is staying for the week and I'm not!)

You're welcome to drop in for a cuppa if your Fiat gets that far!

Quick Reply: Is silver really slower, and did the 04 go soft?