UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soaking wet Inside the boot lid itself.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soaking wet Inside the boot lid itself.

My boot has been fine up to now, through plenty of heavy rain storms. Since the weather turned I have noticed that it is very wet inside the boot lid.

I did replace the brake light in the summer and it was a slightly different design to the original. The new one is from an '06 which seems to have a different number of LED's. But I guess the overall shape and fit should be the same as my '04. It did take some tightening before it was a good fit though.

Could this be the problem? I can't think where else it could be coming from for the actual boot lid to be wet inside. The boot floor seems to be ok apart from a small patch to one side which is obviously from where it has dripped down. I bought a cheap moisture trap, in case it was condensation build up, but it has not made any difference at all. There is no water in the trap.

EDIT: Just found this post so it could be a number of things. Mines had a rear quarter at some point and appears to be starting to go just under the petrol cap area, so perhaps that is where it's coming in..
Old 12-01-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

This morning I found a letter in an envelope in my boot that was looking a little damp, I'd assumed it was that warm air blows though from the cabin to the boot to exit out the vents in the rear - so warm air being trapped in the boot causing condensation may account for this dampness. I was happy enough with that but I'll post back if I find anything else.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

Paper in my boot gets damp too. The boot gets warm due to the exhausts, so in cold weather it cools down and condenses out onto the coldest parts, which is the boot lid, which is also where the warmest air rises to. Notwithstanding any leaks or drainage issues (not a problem for mine), that's your most likely cause.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Paper in my boot gets damp too. The boot gets warm due to the exhausts, so in cold weather it cools down and condenses out onto the coldest parts, which is the boot lid, which is also where the warmest air rises to. Notwithstanding any leaks or drainage issues (not a problem for mine), that's your most likely cause.
So are you saying your boot lid gets damp, or only paper stored in the boot? I owned a pre-facelift car before and never had any problems with damp in the boot. However, it was laid up for long periods during the winter as I wasn't working at the time. I also fitted a HT at the start of November, so it can't be due to any leaks in the hood!