UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

sold my uk car to germany

Old 09-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sold my uk car to germany

I can anybody help
I have just sold today with a large deposit my nice s2000
the guy is coming from Germany to pick it up next week
my car is fully taxed and tested and insured
the guy that is flying from berlin seems to be having problems with insurance and tax while living there and picking car up in uk
the car will be permantly exported and I have been advice on filling the v5c export form part
1 does he need to tax the car to drive it to Germany
2 I know he must be insured but any body had the same problem thanks

Old 09-20-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Maybe cancel tax online when he drives off,as will be a slight delay in the process
Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can help here; I'm based in Germany now and have some experience of this

1. Cancel the road tax and claim the refund; it is not required in Germany.
2. Difficult... Does he intend to collect the car and drive back to Germany? If he is doing this properly, he will bring temporary license plates that will insure him and the car for 5 days... for this he should have asked you for the VIN number of the car and the MOT?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

He will probably need a Certificate of Conformity too from Honda - you will need to apply for this from Honda themselves - takes a couple of week, can be done post sale.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/...onformity.html
Old 09-20-2018, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car going to germany

thanks for your reply
so he will not need tax as long has he has the insurance and plates and mot and vin
I have sent him the reply you sent me I don't know why he his struggling to import the car from uk to germany
Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my UK car to Gibraltar and have been looking into putting it onto Spanish plates or perhaps sending it back to the UK to sell.

Having done the process i cant see why he would have difficulties. Whilst UK is still in the EU it really is as simple as a notice of permanent export and then in when its in its new home you take it to customs and excise. Some EU countries will charge you a percentage based charge based on the Co2 emissions before they give you the plates, and you need to make sure the lights are correct, you dont need to change the fronts because they are flat plane lights or whatever its called. But there is a rule that if you only have one reverse and one fog it has to be on a particular side, and spains is opposite to the UK hahaha. So perhaps Germany too, but other than that, there's no real reason he would struggle.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

First off those "problems" are his problems, sounds harsh but if he want's the car why can't he do the research?
Secondly, be very wary of the way he wants to pay. I would insist in hard cash and pay it into your bank before he gets the keys, he may need to undergo a money laundering check.
Under NO circumstances accept any kind of bank order/cheque, these can be reversed, beware of being scammed.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I sold my previous s2000 to someone in Germany, they flew over and drove the car over. Here is what I did:

- filled out the export part of the V5
- cancelled the road tax the day after i sold it so that it was ok for him to drive to the tunnel.
- made receipts for both parties to sign to say that the car was sold etc including time and date
- paid for the dartford tunnel cost incase they used dartford and didn’t pay, was only a couple of quid so rather pay this than to have to deal with penalties etc.
- took copies of the buyers ID etc

other than that I just let them get on with getting the car back to Germany!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought you could simply drive away the car (with insurance) since it's already registered/taxed in the UK. Then you have a certain window in which to re-register/tax it in Germany.

I was required to apply for temporary reg/tax/insurance for mine in Belgium, because that's where it was located, new and unregistered. Again, re-register in UK once I'd driven it over. And pay the bloody VAT...