UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SORN and Insurance

Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SORN and Insurance

Hi guys
I’m looking for a bit of advice/help.
I am going to take my car off the road as of the end of this month for the winter and was wondering about insurance for a SORN car
Unfortunately I do not have a garage to store the car in, though it will be on my drive hidden away from prying eyes. I spoke to my Insurance Company who said there will be no change on my yearly premium even though the car will not be used for the next 6 or so months.

I have purchased a little winter run around which will be insured under my Wife’s name as my insurance company do not offer a multicar policy and wanted me to insure the run around on a new policy with zero no claims. The price they gave me was comical, £500 more than my S insurance currently is. (I have 10+ years on my S policy which they won’t take into consideration)
so my dilemma is.......

1) Do I cancel my insurance and hope that nothing happens to the car over the coming months
2) Search around for an insurance company that will save me money insuring a SORN car (I’m not sure if these exist or not)
3) Bite the bullet and keep with my current insurance company (rip off ba$tard$ that they are)

I hope this makes sense
Help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Paul
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it insured. The minute you cancel the insurance something will happen to it, garaunteed!

I have a winter car and the s2000 for summer use and both are insured for the full year. I factored this into the costs when I worked out if it was feasible to have 2 cars.

No insurance company will lower the premium anyway I don't think, it's only your word that you won't use it. Unless they correct the annual mileage to 0?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just done the same thing, the S is tucked up in my garage for the winter and i've just insured a winter hack (saxo 1.5 derv burner) I went with Aviva through a broker and they took my 9 years of claim free motoring into consideration when quoting me, as a result their price was about £100 less than everyone else quoted me.

I've left mine taxed & insured as it's doing no harm sitting there earning me another years NCB. Sure you can get "laid up" insurance for the exact thing you, and probably many of us are doing this time of year, i recall discussing it with a colleague a while back.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap to a co that does multi car and bite the loss of 6 months ins towards another years ncb, but at least its insured and ticks along nicely.

Google SORN insurance, there are companies who offer this.

Don't forgot if you cancel your current policy you still have 2 years to apply the no claims to another policy before it expires IIRC.

Or just leave it as is
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Paul,

Keep at it. When I got my Prelude is was the 1st time I had two cars and I had to do some phoning around to get a good deal.
I was given 6 years NCB by one insurance company so I went with them (might have been Elephant.co.uk - can't remember exactly).

Good luck though.

Certainly don't leave the car uninsured!

Minvo.

PS: See you sometime next year when the car is back on the road.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some companies offer a "laid up" insurance policy. I did this to mine last year as there were a couple of garage break ins in my area. Think I was about 150 for 4 months - if I remember right it doesn't even need to be taxed so you could cash in the remainder of your tax disc and put that towards the cost
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

Elephant let me use the NCB on my S on a new concurrent policy for my daily. Was a bit more expensive than other quotes, but we'll worth it to get 8 years of NCB repeated on the 2nd car.