UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sticking Caliper?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking Caliper?

Hey, so I know there are loads of threads about this, but after reading a few horror stories (namely this one) I'm quite worried :/

So I had noticed a faint smell coming from the rear of the car the last couple of days, but didn't think much of it. I thought it was coming from the driver's side checked both wheels which both felt fine(stupidly overlooking the passenger side). While washing the car yesterday I noticed that the rear passenger side wheel was much dirtier than the others and this morning when I checked it after driving (about 5 miles) it was almost too hot to touch.

Should I be worried about driving it to the garage like this or should it be fine?

There doesn't seem to be any noise at all coming from it and I can't feel it pulling when I'm driving, but the wheel was pretty hot.

Also in terms of a replacement caliper if it's needed, what do people recommend?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 AM

Replacement calliper you want oem. Refurbished is fine.

Try finding a nice quiet straight road and emergency stopping the car. May free off a little.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB

Try finding a nice quiet straight road and emergency stopping the car. May free off a little.
Or lock it on even more as happened to me on Saturday.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB

Cool, yeah, I've seen a few sites for refurbed ones, like Biggred.

Ok, I'll give that a go, I'm just worried I'll make matters worse, that thread really freaked me out, lol. Thanks for the tips
Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If you aren't too fussy then Kwik Fit do a reasonable job with warranty and you wont have to pay for pads as long as you own the car.
Driving a few miles (to get it fixed)with it shouldn't do any harm. No noise usually means you aren't down to metal and that's good.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
If you aren't too fussy then Kwik Fit do a reasonable job with warranty and you wont have to pay for pads as long as you own the car.
Driving a few miles (to get it fixed)with it shouldn't do any harm. No noise usually means you aren't down to metal and that's good.
Oh, it was done at Kwik Fit before I bought it (new brakes and pads all round), I got the invoice for it with the car. I actually thought that it could be a botched job by them though so was wary of going there, not sure of the quality of parts that they use etc. Also I didn't want to take it somewhere that didn't care about damaging the paintwork and stuff.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyRunny
Cool, yeah, I've seen a few sites for refurbed ones, like Biggred.
I fitted a pair of Bigg Reg refurbished callipers onto my S at the weekend.

The car doesn't get used a lot and I have had numerous occasions where I have had to free up the callipers by screwing them in and out a few times.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM

Be fine to drive as it will more than likely come and go, just get a refurbished one of eBay or a motor factors and fit it yourself
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM

If taking the calliper apart yourself doesn't scare you then a good clean and re-lube of the slide pins could remedy it.

My passenger front was sticking, not getting crazy hot but enough to notice an mpg drop and smell.

Any way pulling the calliper apart, giving it a good clean and lubing the slide pins has freed it. It probably wants a full refurb and new piston to be honest but it's working fine at the moment.

And Kwik fit would be the last place I would book in for repair work with.