UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Suspension Rebuild

Old 02-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlyWW
I at last got round to getting the new bushes pressed into my arms, picking them up from Daytona Autos at the end of the week. A full geo is in sight....

A question to anyone who has reassembled their suspension - The car is up on jacks but level left to right. I was planning on jacking the suspension up one corner at a time until the upper arm was level, then tighten up the upper arm bolts, drop links etc. Is this the right thing to do or is there a correct angle for the arms to be at before tightening the bolts up?

Cheers.
Saw your arms being done at the weekend - looking good!

Angle wise, you are trying to eliminate preload from the bush, so ideally you want them at the angle the car will rest at on a flat surface.

As long as you are close, that'll be good enough. Drop links are ball joints so it doesn't matter when you tighten these. Upper arms will not be touched during a geo so make sure you get these right If Daytona are doing your Geo, just explain the situation and Ray will sort it for you.

Just becareful jacking the suspension up that you don't raise the car off the axle stand.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I will be looking at doing a similar job once I move and not sure what is seized and what is not. But out of interest, what is the difference once poly bushed?
Iv seen Tegiwa do a S2000 set from Powerflex.
Some good advice, and will definitely invest in a good reciprocating saw + good blades.
I dont want the car to become excessively stiff and horrid to drive.
Do the bushes just tidy it up nicely, or can it result in a very stiff / bumpy ride?

Iv got some poly bushes on my civic with billet engine mounts and the car is quite shakey, but thats ok, as I track it and use it as a daily. Dont want to ruin the ride quality of the S2000.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Cheers Ultra_Nexus, I picked up my arms today and had a chat with Ray along the same lines. All I've got to do now is fit them...and grease the rear bolts..and bleed the brakes..and change the oil...and change the coolant and lots more.

Shaddow, I did a load of searching and reading before starting on my suspension - the first two things I picked up were that it's not a good idea to mix between poly and rubber bushes, and a completely poly bushed car feels a lot stiffer than oem. Lots of people say it's great, lots of people say it's not, it's all down to personal taste. I wanted the 'well sorted OEM' feeling and my rear arms had been replaced by Honda not long after I bought the car, hence why I decided to stick with the rubber bushes and low mileage oem springs and shocks. My car is a second car used on the raod not the track, if I was doing loads of track days then I may have done something different.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 AM

I finally managed to get my geo done yesterday - another big recommendation for Ray at Daytona Autos. The difference in my car between now and last year is amazing, it's definitely the best thing I've had done since I bought it.
I won't go in to the slightly delayed start where I maybe, might have run out of petrol on the way there.
As always it flew through the MOT with a clean bill of health and no advisories, so I'm taxed again and all ready for the summer.

To anyone looking into replacing their bushes diy, the two things I learnt from my experience was to leave plenty of time (imho you would need to be either brave, stupid or a professional mechanic to try and do this over a weekend)and buy lots of expensive blades. I used one for every two cuts (so a blade per bolt) and made sure I smeared them in oil every 30 seconds or so when cutting.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 369 Likes on 343 Posts

Quote:
would need to be either brave, stupid or a professional mechanic to try and do this over a weekend)
Or all four