UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

thinking of changing the softtop myself

Old 05-11-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default thinking of changing the softtop myself

I have done it before on a Triumph spitfire (few years ago to be fair) and did a good job

good idea / bad idea ?

easy / hard ?

any good step by step guides online?

opinions needed please

+ Where to buy from ?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I did mine with a Monsoon "OE-like" twillweave https://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/ho...0-car-hoods-02 really well made and recommended. I'd do the job again, takes a bit of time to get the centre console/glove box out to get to the roll hoops to free up two bits of plastic that hide the rain gutters - but a totally doable DIY. There is a shortcut you can make by snapping those bits of trim over the rain gutters ( a clean line just where they go under the roll hoop) and I suspect some installers would do that and most people would never notice it's been done

I used this guide https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/
Old 05-11-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

i think its covered in the service manual. Unlike Ben i havent grown the Cajonas to do it as it's quite fiddly. Monsoon sell kits i believe or will fit for you, post lockdown. Jack Smiths makes and fits for c£300 which is cheaper than their kit for DIY, hence many head over to him
Old 05-12-2020, 05:45 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I have done it and it wasn’t too bad, Most annoying bit was removing half the interior, the roof itself was easy.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Here's a guide a fe folk here have used: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...moval-1014512/
Old 05-12-2020, 06:40 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Spitfire?! I did my MGB roof and won't touch the S2000 roof after watching two complete roof replacements (including mine) and part of another. These were the Robbins roofs. I can't recommend anyone trying this DIY.

The installer used a complete workbench full of tools including multiple drills, rivet guns, and a plethora of hand tools and supplies not normally found around the home. The recommended time estimate is 8 hours and much of the interior needs to come out -- and go back in. A bungled replacement will result in leaks including into the trunk/boot. Not worth the risk for me and if a professional does the job you have recourse if there are problems. The installer had done dozens if not hundreds of roofs.

There are instructions in the Service Manual. Just a glance at the diagrams should frighten all but the most skilled. Starts on page 20-39 of the US manual (the EU version will be identical). <--- that's a link.

-- Chuck
Old 05-12-2020, 07:16 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

Previous owner of my car did it himself before I bought it. He is pretty handy with working on his own cars but is not a professional mechanic either. He said it was a pain in the ass mainly due to having to work in tight spaces and fiddle around to get it right, but otherwise he said it went ok. Has never leaked, looks great. If I were doing mine, I would for sure do it myself. But it all depends on how much you want to do it and how much time you have spent working on cars in your life. My father is a mechanic, so I have been wrenching since I was a kid and have never taken my car to a shop except for tires and alignments, so I am more comfortable than someone that has done little more than an oil change for example. So it really depends on your experience and comfort level mostly. The info on how to do it is out there, but it depends on how much you trust your own skills in actually doing the work And if you feel the job is more trouble than its worth to just pay someone else.

There is also the point made above about having some recourse if it goes wrong. That is true. Of course as long as you use a good shop and they do not screw you. Plenty of people have had bad work done at a shop and never gotten it properly taken care of.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have done two roofs on my previous two S... Was much easier second time. Its a weekend job. And you need to have lot space for it. But it can be done
Old 08-13-2020, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have changed both. The S is a lot more work than the spitfire one. The roof on the S was a Monsoon one and took 2 days but looks perfect. The Spitfire was done in a day and used a lot less tools. Same as the other advice though, followed the thread and took my time.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by miloking
I have done two roofs on my previous two S... Was much easier second time. Its a weekend job. And you need to have lot space for it. But it can be done
Originally Posted by sideshowgaz
I have changed both. The S is a lot more work than the spitfire one. The roof on the S was a Monsoon one and took 2 days but looks perfect. The Spitfire was done in a day and used a lot less tools. Same as the other advice though, followed the thread and took my time.
Agreed with above, used a friends shed at the time i did mine with a Monsoon one, took Sat and Sun but mainly cause it pi$ed me off and i had to stop. Swapped a whole roof with mechanism as well another time, that was much easier due to the experience before.

To summarise; i'd do it again cause i have a shed and would have the time to take a break in between.

Quick Reply: thinking of changing the softtop myself