UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track day tips

Old 07-02-2003, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day tips

Hi,

I've got an airfield training day tomorrow and I'm going to be giving the S a damn good thrashing .
Has anyone got any tips for looking after the car for this sort of driving? It says in the tech FAQ to set tyre pressures to 34-36 PSI, is there anything else I should know or be careful about?

Cheers!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:41 AM

Make sure the oil is topped up to maximum. You don't want to the engine cutting out as the oil sloshes around, if you corner hard.

Take all the crap out of the cabin and the boot.

Your mpg will be pretty poor on the track, so either fill up before you arrive at the venue or be prepared to do so before you set off home!

After you come off the track, be sure not to apply the handbrake - you run the risk of warping the discs otherwise. Park somewhere flat and leave it in gear.

Most of all, listen to what the instructors say, give it some welly on the powersliding part of the course and enjoy!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:53 AM

Thanks Mark - good advice, much appreciated
Old 07-02-2003, 05:22 AM

Always do a cool down lap or two (preferably 2) so that your brakes get a chance to cool down.
Use the brakes as little as possible on these laps and try to 'coast' (within reason, don't go so slowly you become dangerous!!!). Don't be tempted to speed up just because someone has come past, let the brakes get as much air as possible, use the gearing to slow the car where possible.
If you don't, you risk boiling the fluid and finding that the next time you get in the car and hit the middle pedal it sinks to the floor (if this happens, don't worry, just wait a while for them to cool a bit more). Remeber the hotter the calipers are when you come in, the more likely you are to have this happen while you're in the paddock.

If it's your first trackday, get some instruction, but try to get it later on in the day (late morning is good) so that you have had time to learn the course and are used to driving on the track, that way you get more from the instruction.

HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do bike trackdays on my Kawasaki but the same principles should apply.

1. It's not a race but an opportunity for you to find out better both your own and the car's limits without having to worry about Plod and traffic coming the other way.

2. Don't let the red mist descend.

2. If there's instruction available take it.

3. Learn the circuit before you start trying to lap as fast as Michael Schumacher.

4. Be smooth - you will generally find yourself going faster.

5. If you see a nutter in your group (and there is usually at least one) let the authorities know. They should at least keep an eye on him/her.

6. It is suprisingly tiring. Most accidents tend to happen during the final session - you might think about passing the final session - I always do.

Have a great time.

BTW which airfield?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:34 AM

a tip from me.......if you need to come off line to let a faster car through....DO NOT do this by running wide in a corner to let him through....hold the line and stay on the inside on the exit

If you run wide chances are you'll end up running on the marbles (bits of rubber thrown off the tyres) and you'll end up facing the other way
Old 07-02-2003, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Welshman
[B]I do bike trackdays on my Kawasaki but the same principles should apply.

1. It's not a race but an opportunity for you to find out better both your own and the car's limits without having to worry about Plod and traffic coming the other way.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:27 AM

If you end up going backwards, put the clutch in!

On another note, I span at around 100mph, bounced along the grass at 70, came to a stop, engine cut out, went into 'limp home mode', turned off for 5 minutes, car ran perfectly but engine/emmisions sensor came on and wouldn't go off. Fortunately there were mechanics there who were knowledgeable of S2000's (they used to run a fleet of them at Bedford) and the 'fix' was to take out the ECU fuse and put back in (after testing a few other things). All works perfectly after that. (basically what the mechanic at Honda would do) Serviced afterwards by Honda and all was fine.

Fuse #11 I think IIRC.

Cause was the bumping on the grass must've nudged the Lambda sensor or cat sensors.