UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

vibration at 40mph

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration at 40mph

Hi all, newbie s2000 owner

so a few days ago I started to get this vibration coming through the car at about 35 -40mph up to about 60mph.
all tyres are good, 32psi, all just been off and checked for balancing. just had 4 wheel alignment done too + new front tyres.

I've seen a lot of posts that mention worn CV joints can cause this, also fitting replacement half shafts and some mention half shaft spacers to fix a vibration.
anyone have any experience of this?

any help appreciated!
only had the car 4 weeks and this has just started. not enjoying my drive much the last few days!

cheers
toffy
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Try swap the cv cup over first, you don't need the spaces if the car isn't lowered.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM

inner CV joints vibrate under power.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toffyapple
Hi all, newbie s2000 owner

so a few days ago I started to get this vibration coming through the car at about 35 -40mph up to about 60mph.
all tyres are good, 32psi, all just been off and checked for balancing. just had 4 wheel alignment done too + new front tyres.

I've seen a lot of posts that mention worn CV joints can cause this, also fitting replacement half shafts and some mention half shaft spacers to fix a vibration.
anyone have any experience of this?

any help appreciated!
only had the car 4 weeks and this has just started. not enjoying my drive much the last few days!

cheers
toffy

Does it stop above 60 mph and is it only under acceleration?? Does it get worse as the car warms up aswell??

I had this problem on mine, wasnt noticable on test drive but once i started driving home it was pretty bad and thought i'd bought a shed. I swopped my inner cv cups around last weekend and they were pretty well worn. No problems at all now. Its not too bad a job apart from the mess of cleaning out the old grease. I posted up a few pics aswell if you have a look a few pages in
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM

thanks all for ruling out the need for spacers, and for the checks I need to make re above 60 / under power etc - will check that on monday morning and then know if that's what it sounds like needs doing.
-this may well be a fairly easy job...if you know what you are doing. alas, I do not. I can fit you a nice kitchen, re-image your laptop or tell you some good stocks to buy, but doing this - nope, not a chance.

- how many hours labour are we talking about roughly? - if needs doing, will approach my local trusted garage in basingstoke where I work. (it's my daily drive so cant be without it for long).
- any parts reqd or just maybe some additional grease?

(i'm sure TGM in fleet could do it NP, but I already know they are booked up for a good while as I called them a week ago to get the alignment done, and had to go elsewhere.)

cheers for the help.!

toffy
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM

yorkies2k - how long did it take you and where are the photos you put up please?

I see the honda TSB for this issue (for AP1 cars), states 2 hours labour - sound about right for any half decent garage ??

(btw - mine is a 2004 but believe same axles etc)

still unsure about this, as it feels like I get vibration even when I lift off in the 40mph area, but it's defo there under power too at higher speeds.

the only thing that changed recently was a 4 wheel alignment and new front tyres. (had the balancing checked friday on all 4 and no issues there). cant see how an alignement would make any difference to vibration like this...

cheers
toffy
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a quick search for cv or cv cup, it'll come up near the top.

Couple of hours for me to do it and thats on axel stands in a pretty small garage
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

ok - here's a complete update...

so, I'm getting vibration from the car, starts about 25mph up. worst / most noticeable at 30 - 40mph. even if I lift off completely, even take it out of gear and coast, I still get it as I come down through that speed. it's there at 50 - 60 too, but not so noticeable.

it feels like this started a few days after I had 4 wheel alignment done and front new tyres. ( 2 weeks ago) I had all 4 wheels off and the wheels checked for balancing - they were all fine. today had new rear pads and discs - no change. no worse if you are braking or doing a constant 30 / 40 or 50mph. it's defo a rear judder rather than through the steering wheel.

- I thought of having the inner CV joint cups swapped from left to right, but my judder doesn't sound like that's the issue (just as bad when no power on)

so..now I'm getting a bit stuck and really not enjoying my daily drive.

1 - could this come from a bad alignement? - I can post the figures if needs be, but they were set to the same amount each side, and not that different to how they were before. ...

2. - could the rear tyres be faulty somehow?- they are maybe 6 months old (before I bought the car), and have about 5mm tread, wear is even across and same both tyres. they are directional, so I cant swap them from left to right. I did think of swapping them with another s2000 to test, alas - I dont know anyone else that owns one !

3. the garage that did the brakes today couldn't find anything wrong with wheel bearings etc, and I had told them the kind of judder I had.

err....umm... axles / other joints / ??? - no idea where to go with this now so
really hope you guys can offer some advice.

it's an AP2, 2004, with 88,000 miles.

thanks guys,
toffy
Old 03-15-2012, 03:39 AM

help !

my cups are off and they have already been swapped around once before, so worn both sides. is there any option other than buying new cups from honda at £235 each side??

cheers

toffy