UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wallace's S2000 Track/Race car build

Old 03-07-2024, 11:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the rollcage arriving but in the mean time have got a few other jobs done. I know the OEM intake is regarded as being pretty good but I thought it could be improved to get more cold air in, so I bought a kit of parts to make an intake:

From testing I seen on here it looked like long and large diameter was the way to go, so although a bit tricky to get in place that's what I went with. It's a tight fit with the brake ducts too but squeeze's in:

Before the bumper went back on I added a tow strap since the oem eyebolt isn't the best for quickly attaching a tow strap to on track and of course it adds racecar points. An oem style splitter was also fitted - involving a good bit of swearing as the fitment is pretty crap! Once on it lowers the front a little though which looks better to me:

Next I bonded in the rear screen to the hardtop... I'm pretty sure this is how the pros do it:

It came with top section of the oem seal but not the lower part so I've stuck on a universal trim which looks ok;

Before getting the car back on track I wanted to get another dyno run done, mainly to check the fuelling was ok as I'd read they can run lean with just the exhaust and intake, obviously I also wanted to see if the diy intake would add any power!

So the car was loaded on the trailer since a drive with no seatbelt/harness wasn't very appealing!

I headed to MB Garage services for the dyno run as Matty there has a good reputation and experience with Link ecu's....which looks a good option for the S2K in the future.

The car was strapped down then quickly spinning up the rollers -

Video -

I was a bit disappointed with the figures until Matty jumped out and told me it was WHP figures being shown... 219whp to be specific, which works out as 258bhp:

I wasn't expecting that much power and even Matty was impressed - looks like the intake works! The fuelling is a little on the lean side but not dangerous, however it does mean there's more power to find with a remap which is good news but that's for the future, next up I'm really hoping the cage turns up soon as I have a trackday booked at the end of the month!

Last edited by WallaceS2K; 03-07-2024 at 11:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WallaceS2K:
martin j (03-08-2024), SigfridR (03-12-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 09:28 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

My first track day of the year was booked for the end of March, unfortunately the roll cage didn't turn up in time for fitting before this but my new tyres did - Nankang AR1's in 245/40/17, a bit chunkier than the OEM sized 205/55 NS2R's I had on the front:

Before fitting them I also wanted to lower the car a touch more, however only got another 5mm on the rears before the Ohlins are as low as they can go, some pass through rear cups will go on the list for later to get it a bit lower. With the Advans back on the car looks so much better, the fitment is really good with the AR1's too.

I was still not sure the tyres would clear the wings though so attempted to roll them... I was concerned the rear had a bit of filler in them but the roller found more than a little and they cracked immediately

At least it should have enough clearance now... and even if the rears rub the filler won't do much harm to the tyres!

Next with the cage not arriving in time I had to refit the rear bulkhead, seat belts and roll hoops.I made some simple mounts for a corbeau clubsport for the passenger side:

Some other fussy small things were done, new blue honda badges, clear side repeaters, covers for the headlight washer holes and a new towing eye cover had to be purchased after I could not find the original anywhere! These are actually reasonable even including shipping from Japan through Amayama - cheaper than used on ebay!

With that done it was back on the trailer ready for Knockhill and finally looking a bit more like a track car.

Unfortunately the weather was typically Knockhill for the track day, wet to start with then just as it almost dried out it bucketed down, even turning to hail, so much that the trackday was red flagged for half an hour, it then just about dried out again right at the end of the day but due to the weather and doing some passenger runs I only got 3 sessions on my own. The video below is the end of the first session as it was drying out, my final lap there was a 60.71 without being able to have full confidence over the kerbs, then on the next session I got straight down to a 60.40 on the first clear lap then had traffic for the rest of that one, before it rained again. There's definitely a 59 second lap in the car though, it's pulling a little harder now and is much more stable under braking, I just need to get it up on it's toes.

I had been thinking if I got under 60 seconds I would enter the first round of the SLS but obviously I didn't manage that - which my bank account is relieved about! The roll cage has turned up so next is getting that fitted...

The following users liked this post:
martin j (04-15-2024)