UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wallace's S2000 Track/Race car build

Old 08-26-2021, 06:42 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Interesting on the temperature gauge. Mine never moved off 3 bars, even in 35C at Spa.

Bilstein PSS9 and learning to trail brake made a lovely difference to handling and particularly braking.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
get some 30mm roll bars front and back, will help massively with body roll.
I'll definitely be looking into thicker ARB's when I'm doing the suspension, maybe not that thick on the back though as I want to keep it balanced.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Interesting on the temperature gauge. Mine never moved off 3 bars, even in 35C at Spa.

Bilstein PSS9 and learning to trail brake made a lovely difference to handling and particularly braking.
Yeah I think the radiator (well both radiators) have seen better days! Either that or maybe air in the system as it sounds like S2000's can be a pain to bleed, obviously I'll be putting fresh coolant in with the new radiator so hopefully that sorts it.

Yup stiffer coilovers and better alignment will definitely help. I do sometimes accidentally trail back when I've braked a bit too late and you're right it helps turn in a lot so I should learn to do it on purpose!

I've decided to get KFC on the dyno to again get a baseline figure to work from and make sure it all looks ok, so that's happening today along with the wheel balancing. Once I have it back I'll get on with the prep for the next trackday.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:28 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Vids are great-makes me want to book a session in to take mine out!

Where are you going for the Dyno? I'm looking for recommendations for somewhere relatively near that can map mine...
Old 08-29-2021, 01:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What mounting are you using for the cam? I ended up getting a 3mm thick alu plate and drilling it so the wind deflector mounting bolts fit through it, then slapping the gopro mount on there
Old 08-30-2021, 03:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Fellblade
What mounting are you using for the cam? I ended up getting a 3mm thick alu plate and drilling it so the wind deflector mounting bolts fit through it, then slapping the gopro mount on there
All my secret compartment camera mounted videos suffered from the same nasty vibes featured in Wallace's videos.

Never the less, thanks for posting! This made me truly miss Knockhill, I made my self sick of the place in my time living up there. Andy Forest has always haunted me! When I took my supercharged S he would bring his monster Impreza, I showed up in my Ariel atom and he'd be in a monster k20 turbo Westfield and that current 1500hp thing he's got just keeps me safely at home.

Vibration wise have a check of driveshafts for play or if you've lowered it you may want to swap the inner 'cups'. Or it could be wheels as you said And in my standard S2000's I could lap endlessly on RE002s and Dixcels with no overheating issues,

Let us know what u find and keep posting up your KH kills !
Old 08-30-2021, 03:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Modifry mount plus Hero 4 black for this - nice and steady:

Link to Modifry: https://modifry.com/index.php?route=...&product_id=72
The following users liked this post:
WallaceS2K (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryjedi
Vids are great-makes me want to book a session in to take mine out!

Where are you going for the Dyno? I'm looking for recommendations for somewhere relatively near that can map mine...
You should get it booked on! Yours will go well with the AD08RS and uprated coilovers

Mac motorsport for the dyno. They're close to me and the guy that does the mapping there (Russ Paton) is well regarded and mapped another car of mine.

Originally Posted by Fellblade
3M tape! I literally just slapped it on top of the secret compartment but will get a better mount sorted at some point. Your idea sounds better anyway!

Originally Posted by razzele
All my secret compartment camera mounted videos suffered from the same nasty vibes featured in Wallace's videos.

Never the less, thanks for posting! This made me truly miss Knockhill, I made my self sick of the place in my time living up there. Andy Forest has always haunted me! When I took my supercharged S he would bring his monster Impreza, I showed up in my Ariel atom and he'd be in a monster k20 turbo Westfield and that current 1500hp thing he's got just keeps me safely at home.

Vibration wise have a check of driveshafts for play or if you've lowered it you may want to swap the inner 'cups'. Or it could be wheels as you said And in my standard S2000's I could lap endlessly on RE002s and Dixcels with no overheating issues,

Let us know what u find and keep posting up your KH kills !
Cheers man, your car was actually one my reasons/inspiration for getting an S2000, I was on track with you on my first trackday at Knockhill when I had a Toyota Glanza (about 10 years ago!). I had a poke about your car in the pits and I think spoke to you briefly, I remember being impressed with where the engine sat as standard and thought that's a good base for a track car

Good to know on the pads, might give them a try. Also wheels have now been rebalanced and the difference is night and day so hoefully not quite as much shake on the next vids...
Old 08-30-2021, 03:58 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Hi Razelle, been a while since we saw you here, keeping well I hope.

Still running with K&N filter I got from you many moons ago, it has been cleaned though.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:03 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Using the plate setup (ghetto Modifry ), it ends up pretty stable for me;
The following users liked this post:
WallaceS2K (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same issue with my fans not coming on but powering up when bridged. New thermoswitch sorted it and no bleeding required which was a bonus! (just took out the old one and popped in the new, minimal coolant loss). I did keep the caps of the rad and expansion tank when I started it up again...just incase, but was totally fine. If you do a search there is a thread with a link to a thermoswitch (I got the same) and a how-to on bleeding and various other cooling related things.

Quick Reply: Wallace's S2000 Track/Race car build