UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is the difference between a JDM engine and a UKDM engine

Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flipz
Not sure if this helps with the quest for an answer but my '03 (UK spec) engine has piston part number PCX-A01 stamped on the top. My new Spoon F22C short block also has this PCX-A01 piston set. Happy to supply pictures if required.

This short block came straight from Japan. I do know that this engine has an 11.8:1 CR when used with the Spoon HG, I think that is what takes the CR from 11.7:1 (JDM standard) to 11.8:1. The engine is standard, taken from AP1 JDM, then stroked up to 2.2L with AP2 crank and rods (bore x stroke = 87.00 × 90.7mm).

It could be that the AP2 pistons are used may explain why pistons are the same, but then where does the raised CR come from? As I see it (please feel free to correct me), this rules out the pistons since the PCX-A01 came on my UK spec AP1 and stroker JDM AP1 and the same bore/stroke is seen when comparing this stroked JDM AP1 to the AP2 (with 11.1:1 CR).

It's probably dangerous bringing an aftermarket modified engine into the equation but it may help since we all know Spoon have only mixed up and modified standard components.
Yours is a different case. Spoon is using the A01 pistons because if they used JDM pistons, the compression would bump to around 12.5 (rough guess, no calculation done). Keeping the same piston and adding displacement (stroke) is raising the compression ratio. So they are using the EU/US pistons to get the C/R they want with 2.2L
Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipz
Not sure if this helps with the quest for an answer but my '03 (UK spec) engine has piston part number PCX-A01 stamped on the top. My new Spoon F22C short block also has this PCX-A01 piston set. Happy to supply pictures if required.

This short block came straight from Japan. I do know that this engine has an 11.8:1 CR when used with the Spoon HG, I think that is what takes the CR from 11.7:1 (JDM standard) to 11.8:1. The engine is standard, taken from AP1 JDM, then stroked up to 2.2L with AP2 crank and rods (bore x stroke = 87.00 × 90.7mm).

It could be that the AP2 pistons are used may explain why pistons are the same, but then where does the raised CR come from? As I see it (please feel free to correct me), this rules out the pistons since the PCX-A01 came on my UK spec AP1 and stroker JDM AP1 and the same bore/stroke is seen when comparing this stroked JDM AP1 to the AP2 (with 11.1:1 CR).

It's probably dangerous bringing an aftermarket modified engine into the equation but it may help since we all know Spoon have only mixed up and modified standard components.
Interesting you mention it though. From your numbers you should definitely be able to measure the crown difference between the two piston types by removing the spark plugs. The stroker kit places the pistons 3mm higher than the 2 litre so you can assume the crown must be at least that.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Flipz' timestamp='1441630846' post='23739400

Interesting you mention it though. From your numbers you should definitely be able to measure the crown difference between the two piston types by removing the spark plugs. The stroker kit places the pistons 3mm higher than the 2 litre so you can assume the crown must be at least that.
The stroker kit doesn't place the pistons higher, it has longer stroke and shorter rods. The piston position at TDC is the same regardless. But with the increased displacement the cylinder swept volume is changing, and the compression ratio as well.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, shorter rods and longer stroke from the crank. I wasn't taking into account the additional capacity affecting the CR

So this must mean the following pistons (with significant differences) are available:
1. JDM AP1
2. US/EU AP1 (PCX-A01)
3. WW AP2

Are we missing any other (OEM) ones?