Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Greetings all! Need advice from people in Michigan

Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings all! Need advice from people in Michigan

Greetings from California!

So I might need to relocate to Lansing and I was wondering if you all had any advice for me. Like... where are the nice areas to look for apartments, where are the shady areas to avoid...etc. What's the weather like? Is crime a big issue in certain areas? Good coffee shops? Awesome bars?

I really have no idea what to expect, so I'll be in Lansing within a week or two to go apartment hunting. Recommendations for places to eat? Maybe touristy stuff too, haha!

Hopefully, I'll be able to take my S with me, but there are no guarantees until find a suitable place to stay first. Any advice, particularly with regards to good/bad areas to find an apartment is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
roger
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM

Well since your from California and I use to live there I have to say your SOL ...LOL Michigan sucks!

If Ann Arbor were close I'd recommend that. Maybe someone familiar with the Lansing area can chime in. Oh yeah you'll need either snow tires or a winter vehicle.

Also are you with the Film industry by chance? I ask because since they offered the film industry such great incentives I've seen heard more CA traffic around here.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Hi Roger - East Lansing (aka Okemos) is the nicer part of Lansing stick to that side of town if you can. Michigan State is based there, so there are plenty of coffee shops, etc. Don't know much about fun stuff to do there, we typically go up there for shopping and stuff.

Depending on where you live in Cali, you could be in for a major culture shock. I moved to Michigan from Houston, big difference, but you get used to it after a while.

Weather isn't too bad, it's far enough away from the Great Lakes, so lake effect snow isn't a problem, but it does snow in the winter

Let me know if you need any help, I'll do what I can

Sam
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Hello, Roger.
Wow, you're moving to Michigan?? From California??
Man, all of my buddies are trying to come up with excuses to move to California lol
Yeah, Michigan isn't too bad except for the LOOOOONNNGG winter.
You'll really really miss the sunny weather.
Like sw05s2k said, I'd also recommend East Lansing.
It's basically a campus town, so there are nice places to eat, drink, etc.
Good luck!
Hope to meet up with you some time!

Dan
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

what's up man, i live in lansing and i'll be up front with you. Your gonna miss cali. I lived in socal for a year and i'm back here for school. I'm trying to get back out to cali before winter time . I'll be here if you want to meet up. What are you moving here for? East lansing is where you'll want to be. That's the only part of town with somthing going on and even there it's pretty lame. As for tourist nothing spectacular to see. get at me.
Dillon
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM

hey guys! thanks for all the great responses! I'm sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all.

I wish I were in the film industry, hehe! I'm actually moving to lansing for law school. Only problem is that I'm not sure if i'll have a car with me. So i might be walking everwhere, haha! And if thats the case where I won't have my car then I'll probably have to be relatively close to the school (aka downtown lansing). Thumbs up or down regarding downtown lansing? As much I as would love to explore the town and what not, my main concern is safety, is crime an issue there, and stuff like that. I'm sure i'll be stuck in the library most of the time anyways.

Odds are that'll have to get an apartment either in downtown lansing or at least within walking distance. When I get all settled in around august, I'll shoot you all a PM and maybe we can meet up.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:25 PM

Just go into lansing today! I'm here for a few days apartment hunting so hopefully I'll spot someone on the boards and give you a wave.

fyi, you're highways are really REALLY smooth compared to california highways. haha! Granted, i'm stuck driving a ford focus but still, kudos for the un-mutilated roads.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Venture a miles away from Lansing, the roads get progressively worse!

Just remember, it looks a whole lot different with snow everywhere
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM

Welcome to MI!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by manufan,Jul 7 2008, 09:41 AM
Welcome to MI!!!
thanks!

And point taken Sam. I'm sure the roads are an entirely different beast during the wintertime.