Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Vancouver S2K Ownership Reality

Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vancouver S2K Ownership Reality

Hi everyone,

I've lusted after an S2K for too long and and am very close to finally closing a purchase on an unmolested '02 that has been well taken care of.

I've done searches and research on S2K winter driving but have not been satisfied with the feedback. I apologize for bringing up a topic that has perhaps been beaten to death, but I'd like to ask my questions specifically to owners who live in beautiful Vancouver, BC.

Here's what I'm dealing with: I live in Vancouver, BC. I will not have a winter beater as the S2K will be my primary mode of transportation. I intend to drive with winter tires in the winter (snow or not) as I always do and will not lower the car.

I've heard everything from "S2K no-go in winter" to "You'll still be fine with all-seasons".

As fellow Vancouverites who have had first-hand experience with our relatively mild winters, please share your advice, recommendations and warnings.

Much love.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine if you get winter tires. I don't use winter tires and I go through winter just fine, although I park my car when it snows. The past 4 years or so having driven an S, you'll probably see about a week or two when you'll need to take other method of transportation because of the severity of the snow. I think you'll be fine, get winter tires if you plan to drive, or even take the transit if you can live with it
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Not only s2k, but I used to drive miatas prior to this s2k. Everyone says rwd no go for snow blah blah blah, but I've driven to interior BC for ice racing. Winter tires are a must.

Sure you have to take more precaution driving, and its certainly not a 4 wheel drive by any means... but for city driving its not that bad. Besides, how many days a year do we actually have undrivable snow?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM

I dd my S in any weather even heavy snow. I think winter tires are a definite must for winter - even with winter tires there can be some scary situations in snow and I can't imagine what that would be like with all seasons or summers. Just go slow and don't make any sudden inputs (jab the gas, sharp steering, sudden braking, etc) and you'll be fine.

Get the S and enjoy it. Much love to you too
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dd my car as well and I won't drive it in snow. Last year that amounted to about a week all together. The year before that it was a bit longer.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM

my s is a dd as well. i've only had it for a year now and i just take the bus if the snow is to much to handle which was about 2-3 times (my daily drive is 10min on a busy day lol) this past winter. but im assuming your drive is a bit longer i would go with winter tires and just be safe the most dangerous thing in the winter are Vancouver's awesome winter drivers. enjoy the s!!!!!!! and welcome to s2ki
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM

i DD'd mine as well. tires make all the difference. i spent more money than i care to admit on snowtires and i was passing 4WD SUVs going uphill in the snow. and when the mood strikes, its wicked fun to stomp on the pedal. the only thing that annoyed the crap out of me was that you couldn't have the window open a crack or the melting snow water would flow into the cabin.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

As everyone is saying, you'll be fine.

I drove mine through winter with regular tires, and i'm new to RWD, new to Snow driving (im from Australia) and I was fine. I almost got stuck on one little hill, but if you have winter tires you will have no problem!

I even made sure to have the top down on any winter day it wasn't raining, gets cold & gets a lot of looks! haha
Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 PM

And I remember one time last year after a fresh snowfall I went topdown and it was pretty nice with the sun shining and snow all over
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM

i drove my S in nova scotia winter before. it's not so much of a problem with traction if u have snow tires, it's the problem with height of the car, since it's pretty low to start with. Other than that, i don't see why rear wheel drive is a problem in the snow if u take it easy.

The take away here is to take it easy

Quick Reply: Vancouver S2K Ownership Reality