Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40mm offset with pics

Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black2001S2K
It handles pretty well comparing to stock without a stagger.
I don't understand this statement. It sounds as if you're saying that your 225s all around handle better than the non-staggered stock setup. But what's that? Stock, on both AP1s and AP2s is staggered, no? (To be sure, AP1s are based on 16" wheels and AP2s on 17" ones; but fronts and rears are different on each.)

Sorry, but I'm confused.

On a simpler note: what are those tires? Some kind of Toyos? Thanks, HPH
Old 01-04-2006, 08:16 PM

All your commnets are welcome, positive or constructive. I just wanted to try and see if you can get larger wheels on a budger and the answer is that you can, but you can't lower your car too much because my front tire is outside the denter by about a half inch. The wheels aren't actually heavy, they're under 20lbs still not 15lbs but not that bad comparing to some. I don't know if I'm going to return this setup or keep it. I want to lower the car, but only about 3/4 to an inch. As for the stagger issue, I was saying that this non staggered setup seems to handle well comparing to the stock staggered setup.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Jan 4 2006, 07:14 PM
HAHA, people really have trouble figuring wheels sizes. a +40mm offset will work if you have a 7" wide wheel. It's not that bad. You may rub but very little. People aren't taking into account that wheels width plays just as big a factor as offset. I could run a +20mm offset on a 4" wide wheel.
Probably not if you manage to put the same 225 tire on them. People aren't taking into account that it's the outermost tread that rubs first, not the outermost part of the rim. With the same 225 tire and same wheel offset, a 7" or 9" wide wheel will have the outermost part of the tread sticks out about the same.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming those wheels didn't cost a lot of money, seeing as how they're an off or lesser known brand. They aren't the right size either. Most of the time, the only reason people get wheels that are all the same size, or an incorrect size, is because the wheels are lighter than stock. These look to be heavier, losing performance, and all because you're just trying to get something that isn't stock. Honestly, and this is IMO, they are very tacky looking. For someone who is trying to modify their car, and who already has a nice and beautiful car (an s2000) you would think you'd try and get the car looking and performing the best as possible. Everyone is going to know that you just cheaped out on these wheels.

If you're on a budget, that's totally cool. There are some great wheel sets from ROTA http://www.rotawheels.com that you can get with the correct sizes and offsets. Check out the Rota Torque, which are Work Emotion copies. They look absolutely beautiful, and are lightweight too. You could get a set shipped for probably 600 dollars. Then again, I think that the OEM wheels on Berlina looks the BEST out of any of the colors. I'm not crazy about the stock wheels on other colors, but they look hot on Berlina. Then again, Black S2000s look amazing pretty much all the time

I would seriously rethink these wheels. I know you're trying to get an aftermarket look, but they really aren't that great looking. Again, I'm not downplaying cost, or your personal taste really, I'm just giving my opinion, whether it's wanted or not

Drive safe,
Justin
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black2001S2K,Jan 4 2006, 07:22 PM
I've noticed that there is a general consesus that 40mm offset wheels will not fit on an S2k. I though i'd try it out anyway and it appears that they do fit. It's not a perfect fit, but they do fit.
Depends on what you mean by "fit." When the tire protrudes past the fender, most would say they do not fit. You seem to be missing the fact that the offset and width are related. If you run a narrow wheel like you are, a lower offset can be used. However this does assume, as Race Miata hinted at, that you also need to run a narrower tire. You are not, so you will very likely have rubbing issues.

Check out this link and you'll see that the offset and width go hand-in-hand. The wider the wheel, the higher the offset needs to be.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=342793

Originally Posted by Black2001S2K,Jan 4 2006, 07:22 PM
I just know someone will say that's bad, but It handles pretty well comparing to stock without a stagger.
This is proved to be patently false. If you just drive around at 5/10ths, sure, it'll feel like it handles "pretty well." But if you get closer to the limit, or find yourself in a accident-avoidance maneuver, you'll find the car will be much more eager to swap ends. There is a reason the car comes with wider tires in the rear. Believe it; Honda would run the same tires front and rear if they deemed it safe. It would save a lot of money.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe spa-zz is correct. The handling at the limits is going to be compromised. You could create some of the OE stagger by running 205/50R17 front and 225/45R17 rear. That would also help the front tires to tuck in a little bit. The way it is now I think it is going to rub.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks Jim. Yeah, it I drop it it will rub, the added negative camber will not be enough to tuck in this size of tire. I will get some 205/50/17 in the front and see how that works. I With rolled fenders and a litle extra negative camber the rear looks to be ok.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM

I dunno guys.

I just seems to me that this is a classic example of ruining the dynamics of the car, for the sake of the owner thinking it looks better.

When you have to start bending sheet metal, and altering an already aggressive alignment, just to make these wheels fit....it just doesn't seem right. I could see, maybe, if you're trying to put on meaty 275's or something for some crazy time attack race car, but where talking about 225 tires here on an otherwise, from appearances, stock s2k, SKINNIER than the stock ones at that.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:32 PM

put some negative camber in the front... and it won't be sticking out like that anymore
Old 01-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Jan 5 2006, 06:32 PM
put some negative camber in the front... and it won't be sticking out like that anymore
...and you'll set yourself up for even more oversteer than you have now...

Quick Reply: 40mm offset with pics