Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza Sport vs Firestone Friehawk?

Old 09-17-2021, 03:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Awesome idea... I've never used a mobile-installer before.

Also... super convenient if let's say you bought new wheels... as it's a big hassle to figure out how to bring your new wheels to the shop, for them to mount tires and wheels on your s2k, then still gotta bring your old wheels/tires back home... gives me much more reason/temptation to get some Ap2 v1 reps for my Ap1, hehe.
or you need a friend with a pick up truck.

The following users liked this post:
Jah2000 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 04:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kissthepilot
I only bought the fronts as my old Pilot super sports were too old in the front and the back ones were still serviceable. Yes the front ones only come in 45 series, and I do think they are softer. Can’t compare them to the rears, just the Michelin‘s. Today I went to a local Michelin dealer and ordered the Dunlop Direzza ZIII’s in 225/45R17 and 255/40R17. These are the tires that Billman uses on his Dragon car and I want to have the same performance he’s getting, except of course his are wider and squared.

I’ve always wanted really sticky tires and can’t wait to try them. I’ll tell you what I think in a few days.

Eric

PS, I don’t think it matters where the tires are made because most companies have high centers for quality control. I’m sure that the same everywhere, but I do think the profile changes the sidewall a bit because I am pretty sure the internals are all the same. I guess it’s a matter of leverage.
thanks for getting back. I just couldnt figure out what you meant with the profile changes the sidewall?

are you able to check what country is on yoir fronts? In case you have your car close by of course

Direzzas are not sold in europe where I am. Just found 1 company and they ask about 300 usd per front and 350 per rear, ridiculous prices. A set for about 1300 usd. What cost in the US?

any other suggestions for a streetable tire with stiff sidewall? I want that direct feedback, dont care for comfort. Wont choosing a Run Flat give the stiffness and direct control and feedback? Rfts must have more sturdy sidewalls. Often I read complains about RFT but isnt that from comfort oriented drivers?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:29 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

I had a Tacoma PreRunner in the '00s... and that's the exact reason I sold it, lol (friends always wanting help).
Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I got the Indy 500s installed the other day. I’m glad I went with 225/255 sizing because they don’t look much if any wider than the S04 in 245 from the rear. The Pilot sports I had before the S04s looked kind of stretched in stock sizes. I haven’t given them a real test yet but under some moderate cornering they feel good. None of those weird, strained sounds I heard from the Potenzas. As for the ride, I don’t think it’s quite as good as the Potenzas were when they were new but it’s fine.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:29 PM

Default Hi

I just bought a set of Dunlop Direzza ZIII’s and they are amazing! By far the best tired I’ve ever purchased for this vehicle. I’ve only had them for a few hours, but I think they’re amazing. Sidewall stiffness seems perfect, and the very precise handling and turning is back. They were $1000 in the 225/255 sizes.

Went to a local dealer that’s not a chain and they were just amazing. Love them, love the tires.
The following users liked this post:
seawolfxix (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 08:03 AM

KissthePilot, good to know that you like the Dunlop Derezzas. If I’m not feeling the Firehawks before my 90 day trial is up I may go with them. How do they ride compared to others you’ve tried?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:09 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Please let us know the noise level. Earlier generation Direzza Zs (ZI?) were the loudest of the three sets of tires I've had on the car and were skittish in the rain when worn. Tread pattern of the latest generation looks very similar. They're Directional rather than my preferred Asymmetric but are available in 255 width. Asymmetrics can be "cross rotated side to side on the same axle without removing the tires from the wheels. Also see: Symmetric vs Asymmetric-tires.

Also interested in handling in the wet as rain handling is becoming more important as I don't like being caught out in the rain on a "skid pad." Extreme performance summer tires all seem relatively poor in the rain. My now-discontinued Bridgestone S04s handled a recent violent rain storm on I64 without the pucker factor tightening excessively. And I don't think Scott needed a change of underwear with his Firestones. Neither tire is considered an Extreme summer tire.

Coming up on tires in the next year and my favorites have been discontinued/superseded.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Sure

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
KissthePilot, good to know that you like the Dunlop Derezzas. If I’m not feeling the Firehawks before my 90 day trial is up I may go with them. How do they ride compared to others you’ve tried?

I tried the firehawk’s myself and thought they were awful. Felt like I was driving on marshmallows! This car is a sports car and designed to be driven like a sports car. I grew up in Phoenix and no matter where I live I don’t really care about the rain. If this is your daily driver, then might not want these tires. I bought them for the dragon mostly, as live 20 minutes away from it.

The sidewall strength is great and I don’t mind the noise level or the feel of the car. That very easy to turn, and I’m not sure how to describe it, “twitchy” feeling is back and I love it. If you just touch the steering wheel the car starts to turn! I love that, and that’s what made me buy the car in the first place.

i’m guessing one of you is going to “the word twitchy and say they don’t want that kind of a car. Well if I were a race car driver I could probably explain it better and use better words. But I’m not, just an airline pilot and I want a car the handles like I want it to. these are the best tires I’ve ever had on this car after owning it since 2009.

Hope it helps you!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:52 AM

Good to know. And you went with the larger sizing as well so I'm guessing that is not detrimental to the twitchy, quick feeling of the car. I am currently trying to sort out an alignment issue but I will give the firestones a fair shakedown within the next month or so. I'll report back my findings.