Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooper tires

Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bogeygolf
Is anyone out there running Cooper tires?
Asking about a brand doesn't mean much. Each brand makes several lines and within each line makes different models of tires each with differing characteristics. Which specific tires are you looking at? What are your priorities? Budget? If you want recommendations then you need to help those you're asking.

If you just want general info on Cooper then try searching:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coop...=1024&bih=1195
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Cooper Zeon RS3-S and love them!

I was gonna get the Hankook v112's whent to order them threw my Dad that deals with local Tire vendors and he tolled him that V112's are NOT worth the money. The Tread wear is terrible. So he recorded the Cooper Zeon RS3-S the vendor said its one of the best tires for the money in Road life and Wet Grip and wet weather grip was what i was looking for since i live in FL. And i can confirm the wet grip it rained a lot this past weekend and they handled very nicely. Iv only had them for about a week so im still waiting so i can do a full review. But so far so good.

Hears a link to a Review Modified Mag did on the RS3-3. Seem to be about what iv noticed so far but i cant comment on what say about them being a track tire. http://www.modified.com/roadtests/mo...re-zeon-rs3-s/
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I am gonna pick up some tires from Tire Rack today and am trying to decide on some myself.
My top choices are...

Continental DW
Bridgestone Potenza S-04

I thought about the Hankook v112's but I think the treadwear is too high because even driving my girlfriends MINI I get the car to get loose and its FWD, i cant imagine it being good on the s2000.
I am slightly thinking about the Potenza RE11 as well, I know they are super pricy(only about 15 dollars per tire than Dunlop Star Specs in the size I am looking at) so it seems like a no briainer there considering they lost longer from what I read,....and now that I went non staggered I can rotate which will help increase life.

Even if the car is your daily, its better to have a dedicated winter tire, if in fact you need it, then it is to compromise on performance everywhere to get something that is "ok" in all seasons.
I have the V12 Kooks right now on 4 ap1 rear wheels and they handle very well while still being a good daily driven tire. I have nearly 15 autox's, 1 track day, and 7k dd miles on them. They look like they're only about half way through their life and still provide good dd grip and handle well in the rain. They are definitely a good spirited driving/dd tire imo
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I am gonna pick up some tires from Tire Rack today and am trying to decide on some myself.
My top choices are...

Continental DW
Bridgestone Potenza S-04

I thought about the Hankook v112's but I think the treadwear is too high because even driving my girlfriends MINI I get the car to get loose and its FWD, i cant imagine it being good on the s2000.
I am slightly thinking about the Potenza RE11 as well, I know they are super pricy(only about 15 dollars per tire than Dunlop Star Specs in the size I am looking at) so it seems like a no briainer there considering they lost longer from what I read,....and now that I went non staggered I can rotate which will help increase life.

Even if the car is your daily, its better to have a dedicated winter tire, if in fact you need it, then it is to compromise on performance everywhere to get something that is "ok" in all seasons.

I too have the V12s on my S2K right now. They are absolutely great as a DD; sure they give up some things here and there (namely ultimate dry grip), but for the price they really can't be beat. I have read that the Conti DWs are a bit better than the V12s, but again, factoring in price, they really are the way to go.

As for the tread wear rating on tires, you really have to take those number with a grain of salt. There is no industry standard, so to speak, for TWR, and because of that the manufacturer is free to rate their tire as they please; one manufacturers 240 is anothers 120. While this is a decent way to at least get an idea of how well the tire will hold, it should not be the only thing you use to make your decision.

Mike